Plane stupid or just me??

sw2005 sp 0.1

One assembly, one drawing. Insert assembly into drawing. Hide some components of assembly in drawing view. Project from this drawing view another view.

The projected view is not really of the original view, because the hidden components are showing in the projected view!!!

Soooo.... I thought I would tick the "Automatically hide components on view creation" option.

It made no difference, except, that I have a bmp file of my company logo in the template, which fly's off the screen, quite funny considering it is a hornet!!!, lol Only zooming out then zooming to fit, brings it back to where it should bee, (get it?) Doh!

what is "Automatically hide components on view creation" for then?

Reply to
pete

I think it sort of makes sense - bear with me.

We all know that you can hide things in some views and not have them disappear in other views - sounds like a good thing. So, you were expecting the projected view to carry the hidden attributes of some of the components in the parent view. Obviously, it doesn't work that way - the projected view stands on its own and you have to hide whatever you want in it specifically.

If you have an assy in a drawing, and you have the setting on, and you then create a new view, then any components that are "behind" what you see, as in would be behind the front plate and therefore you can't see it, these are what are actually put in the hidden folder and the name in the FT transparent.

Now, why it couldn't also pick up stuff that is already in the folder, I don't know - might make some sense.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

In my mind if a part is hidden in one view, in a "projection" of that view, the part should also be hidden. If I hide something, you should not be able to see it, does that not make sense? Or it that too simplistic? :-S

So if I understand you correctly, it hides things that you can't see anyway? What is the point of that? lol Sounds a bit dumb to me, maybe there is a very valid reason, but I can not see it. Can you explain?

When designing a prototype with a few parts, it makes sense, (to me), to build a basic assembly and change the parts from the assembly to suit.

Take for example a door, with hinges handles and a letter box. I draw a basic door and make an assembly then add the basic parts. Now from that assembly I can open the part and make any mods that is required.

when finished, I make a drawing, showing the full assembly, then sub sheets showing how it is assembled, from start to finish. This can then be used by the fitting bay as assembly instructions.

By hiding , rather than suppressing parts, a very easy "live" construction manual, with individual boms, can be built. I prefer not to suppress, in case a mod to a part is needed, which will not update in the sub sheets, when suppressed.

I hope this makes sense, it's late and my bed is calling, lol

Reply to
pete