Problems with Flex feature

I am not very familiar with the Flex feature. But I have used it successfully several times in the past. But now, I am trying to do something with it and I am not able to get it to do what I want it to do. It's probably a simple matter of me not understanding the correct way to set it up for what I am after.

Its a very simple part. Its basically a flat plastic washer with a split in one side. A picture can be seen here:

This picture shows the washer in its relaxed state. I need to create a configuration of the washer flexed open similar to say a lock washer (the washer will need to be flexed over a wire).

Can anyone help me out with this. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out....

Seth

Reply to
Seth Renigar

here:

Wouldn't it be easier to use a helix and change config by changing the pitch. Should probably look more realistic as well

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

here:

Krister,

I had originally thought about that. But the problem that I ran into was that I need to show this in relaxed state & flexed (2 configs). The helix doesn't allow you to have a zero pitch for the relaxed state.

I think I have it worked out now though. Its not the way I wanted to do it. But I used a revolve feature in one config for the relaxed, flat state. Then I suppressed the revolve, used a helix in the other config (re-using the original sketches) to show it flexed.

But surely there has to be a way to utilize the flex feature to accomplish this as well though, so you don't have to suppress the original BASE revolve. I'd still be curious to see if anyone has a solution to this. It seems like it would be easy enough with the flex. But it sure doesn't work out to be very easy, for me anyway.

Seth

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I agree, but the flex feature is a bit tweeky. It's difficult to get it working the way You want. Don't think it was ever meant to be a engineering feature, maybe for uniform bars and stuff like that. I tried last week to twist a simple hanger 90=B0, but I couldn't get it right, no matter how hard I tried.

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L