Re: Auto Recover - Backup

Wayne do they allow attachments on this user group. Your post had 2 attachments.

Anyway I too am frustrated with the way the backup works or doesn't

As I understand they follow the Windows autorecover system. In the directory you specify it saves a backup of the origional file when you save your work. It isn't an autosave as you have with AutoCAD. (someone told me this would take way too long saving a file every 10 minutes. Although that is what a user should be doing anyway.) I don't have any Idea why sometimes when you start solidworks after a crash it says that you had something open and asks to recover, but when you really needed it to recover you get nothing.

I don't get it either

Corey

I am just fit to be tied because of the SW auto recover stuff. One of our > users crashed out and when I went to look for the backups, I couldn't find > them. Maybe I'm not understanding something, but the auto recover doesn't > appear to work properly. Here's what the help (backups/options) says: > > Choose from the following options: > a.. > 1.. Save auto recover info every changes. Select this check box and > set the number of changes that should occur before information is > automatically saved. > NOTES: > > a.. In a part or assembly document, a change is a rebuild or an action > that requires a rebuild, such as the addition of a feature. > > b.. To disable auto recover, clear the check box. > > c.. Auto recover files are saved in :\ folder>\swxauto. For example: C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local > Settings\Temp\swxauto. > > b.. Number of backup copies per document. Specify the number of backup > copies you want to save of part, assembly, or drawing documents. Scroll to 0 > (for none) or up to 10. > > c.. Save backup files in the same location as the original. Select this > check box to save the backup file in the same location as the original file. > Backup files use the naming convention: Backup of .sld*. > > d.. Save backup copies in directory. Name a directory where all backup > copies are stored by default. Type the path or use click to browse to the > directory to use. This option is disabled if Save backup files in the same > location as the original is selected. > > Seems like if you set your backup location to c:\backup, you should find 5 > copies of each file (if you set it to 5) in that folder. What I am finding > by doing a little test is that the only place they show up is C:\Documents > and Settings\User.ASI\Local Settings\Temp\swxauto and so far only 1 copy. > According to the Help, a log should happen when rebuild is needed, such as, > in my opinion, adding a mate, changing a mate dimension or value, adding a > part. By my test, it's not consistent. Any thoughts here? > > WT > > >
Reply to
Corey Scheich

No, attachments are not generally allowed - I think they were the little symbols that I cut out of the help file & I couldn't get rid of them.

WT

C:\Documents

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

The SW autosave is based on the number of changes, not simple how long it's been since the last save.

As for autorecover, I've never had much use for it. Crashes seem to be more frequent, and the utility of the recovered files is limited. YMMV

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Is there a difference between Auto Recover, and Autosave, and Backups? All I find in the help is what I sent that talks about Backup Options and appears to combine auto recover & backups, therefore one option for auto saving. I think AutoSave as a timed event is a feature of AutoCAD and I don't see the equivalent in SW. Or do you know about something else?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Correct me if I am wrong

AutoRecover: Save a sequence of commands or edits to be applied to the file in question upon reopening SolidWorks.

BackUp: The opened file's saved position before the last save just incase the latest save corrupts the file.

AutoSave: Program automatically saves the document at preset intervals (Not available in SW) although an api could do this if you really want.

Regards Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich