Really stupid question

Hello All,
OK I've decided to test what happens with autorecover, so now I need a guaranteed way to CTD.
Hey I told you it was a stupid question.
Maybe this is a good sign, but I can't get SW to crash.
BTW SW2005 SP01RC
Boy, I NEVER thought I'd be asking this, Thanks, Muggs
--
Change "home" to"comcast" to reply

Muggs wrote:

Just use Task Manager to force SW to terminate.
Been there, tried that! Doesn't force an autosave.
Thanks, Muggs

The autosave happens as you work, after making a set number of design changes... did you mean the 'autorecovery' routine is not triggered when you use task manager to terminate, or am I being dumb?
By the way, I laughed out loud at your original post. Too bad its not SWx 2001, where all you had to do was do something important that you didn't want to lose and it would CTD every time.
Sorry Ed, Yes I meant autorecovery.
But I assumed that if you have autosave setup and had a CTD, then that would trigger an autorecovery. I guess what I'm trying to do is determine whether autorecovery is working or not. The post called "What ever happened to autorecover" got me thinking that in the past when SW would CTD, I would get a message upon restarting SW, asking if I wanted to try to autorecover the last part/assembly, and I haven't seen that message in awhile. And so I thought that maybe they (SW) incorporated it into the autosave feature.
I haven't found any reference to autorecover anywhere in SW, help files or otherwise.
Muggs

I should have said other than the check box under Backup, which says "Save auto recover info every ___ changes".
Muggs

WOW, I feel like I'm talkin to myself.
Here is what SW says in the help files:
The auto recover option automatically saves information about your active part, assembly, or drawing document so you do not lose your work in case of a system crash. To set this option, click Tools, Options. On the System Options tab, click Backups and select Save auto recover info every <n> changes. Specify the number of changes that should occur before information is automatically saved.
So, I guess my assumtions are right. Now all I need is a way to crash SW.
Muggs
Note that there is another setting specific to large assemblies, under tools options/system options/large assembly mode
Krister L

of
information
Muggs,
Turn on "single command per pick".
Bring up a small assembly, start an exploded view. Move one part, and then edit that move.
CTD every time
Mark

CRAP! That's my SPR.
The mind is the first to go.
Thanks MM, Muggs

Muggs,
"> CRAP! That's my SPR.

Man,,,, I thought it was mine. What's the date of yours ???
Mark
<Sheepish Grin>
I just looked to in my file where I keep all my SPR info, and I had submitted it with another one (Property Manager does not expand Add Relations box when sketching line with single command per pick enabled) and i got an SPR for the Add Relations box, but edit expolode had already been issued (yours).
Sorry!
BUT, it must be fixed in SP01RC, because I can't get it to crash. I can't believe I complaining about NOT being able to crash, John McElenny is probably pulling his hair out right now.
Muggs

Muggs wrote:

enabled) and

been
McElenny
Hey, Just plug in that old video card laying on the shelf collecting dust. You know the one that always helped your SWX CTD until you upgraded. It should cause you to CTD real well when you just try to rotate your assembly with a section veiw setup.
Ctr-Alt-Del to get the Windows taskmanager Terminate Solidworks process :-)
Autorecover works with my system (Win 2k, SW2005 SP0.1) in this way.
\/\/im

You could try the space in the user defined part number slot. Then put that part in a drawing with an Excel based BOM. Oh, wait, that may not work - you can't even open the drawing without crashing.
WT