Checklist?

Hello All,

This may seem like a silly question, but I always seem to miss something, then kick myself. Does anyone have a checklist of what to save as far as SW is concerned, so as not to lose anything when switching to a new computer?

data folder copy options wizard

New to SW office, so...

toolbox folder? PW folder?

Anything that I'm missing?

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Don't forget your hotkeys file! (???something???.CUS)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I also just remembered the macros folder as that's where your keypad macros are.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I'll be doing this myself soon... Lemme see:

Templates and formats Copy options output file .cus file palette files toolbox files? (don't use it myself) SWBrowser.mdb (if you've modified your standards data in 04) Block files macros calloutformat.txt (if you've modified it) dxf map file dimensions favorites, etc.

What else?

I like to save as much of this stuff as possible in one folder to make it easier to copy and back up.

Stuff for Windows... Address book email archive? (especially for activation codes you forgot to write down) data (duh...) all those useful things you've downloaded passwords file!

It's really tough to get windows to let you keep all this in one place. Oh, for a /user directory....

Reply to
Dale Dunn

For SWX, don't forget to create a REG file of all your local settings... Look for "Copy Options Wizard" in the SWX program group. Once on the new machine and SWX has been loaded, just double click on that REG file. As for Windows XP, look for Accessories - System - "File and Settings Transfer Wizard" to help capture a lot of local config stuff for modern Windows programs. As for the rest, back up 'yer data, reinstall your apps, and copy your data back. Fun fun. But worth it :)

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

I actually create all these folders Templates and formats Copy options output file .cus file palette files toolbox files? (don't use it myself) SWBrowser.mdb (if you've modified your standards data in 04) Block files macros calloutformat.txt (if you've modified it) dxf map file dimensions favorites, etc.

and a PW custom folder on my c: drive under a main folder called SolidWorks Custom Folders. I then go to tools/options/file locations and add the folder paths. That way I'm always working out of those folders. If I have to upgrade or re-install all my "custom" files are already located on the c: drive and up to date. After the upgrade or re-install I just add the folders to the file paths again.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez