external reference frustration

I have an assembly that contain parts (as well as sub-assemblies) that are all defined completely within the assembiy, and saved externally.

No matter what I try I cannot save the main assembly under a new name using "save as" and "references" and maintain the references in context. I keep getting question marks on all the parts/sub-assemblies when I open the newly-saved assembly. I've tried saving the parts/sub-assembiles in a new folder, renaming them using the suffix/prefix option, checking and unchecking the "save as copy" options, played a bit with System Options - External References, but nothing seems to work.

Am I doing something wrong? Very frustrated about this; help greatly appreciated!

I'm using SW2008, SP4.0 on WinXP.

Reply to
donk

donk

The best way to solve it is to get away from parametric-history based modeling and use better technology. I'm sure this isn't the answer you want to hear but it is the best answer and it is an honest answer.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Ignore that idiot. He has no idea what you were asking about ... more proof (as if any more was needed) that he's not & never has been a user, much less even a pretend "expert".

Wait a little & real users will see your post .. it was a 3 day holiday in the US.

Reply to
Cliff

The best way to solve it is to get away from parametric-history based modeling and use better technology. I'm sure this isn't the answer you want to hear but it is the best answer and it is an honest answer.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Already solved J>Have you tried us>

Tried using SW Explorer... worked like a damn!

Many thanks guys! ]

Reply to
brewertr

The best way to solve it is to get away from parametric-history based modeling and use better technology. I'm sure this isn't the answer you want to hear but it is the best answer and it is an honest answer.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

jon, you wouldn't know parametric modeling if it bit you in the ass.

Reply to
zoober