external reference frustration

I have an assembly that contain parts (as well as sub-assemblies) that are all defined completely within the assembiy, and saved externally.

No matter what I try I cannot save the main assembly under a new name using "save as" and "references" and maintain the references in context. I keep getting question marks on all the parts/sub-assemblies when I open the newly-saved assembly. I've tried saving the parts/sub-assembiles in a new folder, renaming them using the suffix/prefix option, checking and unchecking the "save as copy" options, played a bit with System Options - External References, but nothing seems to work.

Am I doing something wrong? Very frustrated about this; help greatly appreciated!

I'm using SW2008, SP4.0 on WinXP.

Reply to
donk

Brilliant, except for one thing, the issue has NOTHING to do with MODELING, idiot.

B.S. = Banquer Stupidity

Reply to
brewertr

Reply to
donk

Have you tried using SW Explorer to rename the top level?

Reply to
That70sTick

Not an answer just possibilities:

Did I read you correctly, you are using multiple contexts (can of worms) with external references?

If so try locking and/or breaking all external references to see what happens?

Is this the first time you tried it or has it worked for you in the past?

If it worked in the past what if anything is different with this assembly?

Search SW help for "External References"

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

brewertr

Tried using SW Explorer... worked like a damn!

Many thanks guys!

I just wonder why "save as" + references didn't work. It did work a couple of times before, but just seemed to stop suddenly.

BTW I'm usually very careful with references. Parts NEVER reference each other in my assemblies. That seems to usually keep the hoopla down to a mimimum.

Cheers.

Reply to
donk

You're welcome.

The nice thing about trying to help you is I found a few items of interest to me along the way.

Thank you for letting us know you managed to fix your issue and how.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr