Re: Making an assembly into a part

No, even if you save an assy as a part, it's still relying on the individual part files and you have to maintain them. If you round trip it through the parasolid, you get a single, clean part, all one imported feature.

But, that has a good side to it. If you have only one seat of COSMOS, and that guy is busy, you can still analyze a wlmt by joining it and then using COSMOS Express. Since it's still linked to the parts, you can make changes to them and run the analysis again.

WT

I believe single body is created via parasolid route, but if one performed >the insert new part and join features and then saved the assembly to a part >file, the same would be created. No need to go through all the export / >import stuff. > > Keith > >> >> What does your method achieve that "save as part" does not? >> Does it make the part a single body? >> >> Regards, >> John Harland >> > >
***
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thaaat is not true! I just tried it with a small assembly. When you open the newly created part, it is entirely stand-alone, and has absolutely no references. The original parts can be deleted for all it cares. You can not go back and change any of the original parts and get the new part to update.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Ok, how about I wipe the egg off my face. I knew there was a reason for my method, but in my haste to get a reply out, I failed to check my memory. The issue is as you say, the assy saved as a part will not have any external references to the original parts, but it will be a multi-body part. I just tried it and I got a part file made up of 50 solid bodies. Therefore the parasolid round-trip here would combine them all into one body.

If you want to hook parts together to use COSMOS Express, then you need to make a join part, but not parasolid it.

So sorry for the mis-info, folks. :-(((

WT

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:DCiSf.66298$% snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

***
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Memory getting low??? Maybe its time for an upgrade, or at least the 3GB switch. : )

Reply to
Seth Renigar

I think it's called old age and stressed out.....

WT

"Seth Renigar" wrote in message news:0slSf.66341$% snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com...

***
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Ditto!!!!

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Now that was a thread worth reading, err??? sorry I forgot your name hehe :-0

Reply to
pete