Re: Newsgroup Statistics, last 90 days

Turquoise SuperStat 2.2 * Message area statistics

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

> (c) Copyright 1998-2005 Peter Karlsson > > This report covers 3593 messages written between 06/29/2008 04:53:30 and =
09/26/2008 17:57:52
Markku Lehtola

It's a "Blacklist of quoters" and it lists the ratio of quoted vs original content of a persons posts.

On Usenet it's strongly encouraged to (properly attribute and) trim the quoted material in replies to include only that which is relevant to the reply.

This statistic is meant to promote good posting habits, nothing more.

Reply to
Black Dragon

So, what happens if post has one sentence and I reply to it with another sentence (full 100% quote), am I blacklisted then as well?

Weird way to do that, I think.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

The software counts bytes and in that scenario the ratio would be close to 50%. Whether or not you'd be on the blacklist depends on the number of entries in the top lists and the number of entries in the top lists is set when the program is run. In this case I likely could have set it to 200 and everybody who made at least three posts would be on it.

What's a better way? Asking people to post properly? I gave up on that years ago, got told to go pound salt too many times. Now, I just ignore the stupid idiots who persistently refuse to properly trim their quotes, fail to attribute replies properly, and top post.

Reply to
Black Dragon

BD is using statistics software to analyze posting habits on ccsw. It isn't actually black-listing anything. BD is our resident usenet expert and he is showing use different breakdowns of how various users are posting. The term black-list is probably a misnomer.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

As the most stupid idiot here (if we believe your blacklist), I use sometimes light provocation to get conversasion started, but blacklisting with real email addresses that spammers can take, you just fell yourself into the same pit.

Markku

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

I generated the stats to satisfy my own curiosity and figured since I had them I might as well post them since others may be interested too.

If you'd like me to post weekly statistics like I do in alt.machines.cnc (currently under the nym "Chip Auger"), just say the word and it shall be done.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Do you work at contradicting yourself like that or is it just a habit?

Reply to
Black Dragon

Wouldn't "good posting habits" be to ask if anybody is interested in this before posting it??

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L