Re: OT (?) Which Linux distribution

"Nick E." a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net...

"Jean Marc BRUN" quipped: > Mandrake.
> > Wait a couple of weeks or so and get 9.2. It's in RC2 status right now, so > should be out pretty soon.

Nice to know

> also, why in the world do you want to keep WinME on there?

It's my 12 yo kid's box. One hour after he finished mounting WinMe, we had a Quake 3 LAN.

--->In short, Games

> --nick e.
Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

"Jean Marc BRUN" quipped:

dude. run quake on linux. or UT. descent. doom. hopefully duke nukem soon.

besides, he's young. teach him what a real OS is like. :)

--nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

"Jean Marc BRUN" wrote in news:3f5f3b20$0$27582$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr:

Win2K will run all your games just fine. You can even create his own account if you want to keep him out of your stuff.

Reply to
Joel Moore

"Nick E." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

As a neophyte Linux user who hasn't moved beyond the dabbling stage I'm unclear on what makes the various distro's different. Is it simply the bundled software or is there more to it than that? What's your attraction to Mandrake? (Not a troll.)

I've always installed Red Hat simply because I think it was the hot distro when I first started looking at Linux. I don't know enough about Linux to know whether I should be dissatisfied with Red Hat.

Reply to
Joel Moore

Joel Moore quipped:

Mdk is much better (IMO) as a consumer desktop distro. Also, Mandrake has a fully functioning KDE. Texstar

is a GREAT source for additional, unofficial software as well.

Mdk is very easy to use. I install, and boom, instantly working linux. (obviously you have to config your email client etc). very easy control center too.

just my preference.

red hat is geared more towards corporate.

nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

In my experience, Win2K or XP will not necessarily run older games.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

"Jerry Steiger" a écrit dans le message de news: bjoihr$lgcql$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-200869.news.uni-berlin.de...

Yes, W2k does not run some games.

Thanks for the answers, I will go Mandrake soft. Has good "word of mouth", and excellent international support. PDF's in a whole bunch of languages, including my native one.

More OT:

"I am concerned by current plans to legalise software patents in Europe"

JM

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

"Jean Marc BRUN" quipped:

if you're over there, by all means make your voice heard.

--nick e.

p.s. how can you patent *and* copyright something?

Reply to
Nick E.

RedHAt has been shifting more to fit the needs of big business. Mandrake has always concentrated on the desktop. both are good Dist's. the original fork was over KDE. redhat would not ship it at that time.

btw, i'm a debian user, but if i had it to do all over again, i would probably be running Libranet. they are worth a look also.

===== phrostie Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS and danced the skies on Linux silvered wings.

Phrostie