Re: SolidWorks 2003 Animator, Whats the standard codec?

I save my animations out of SolidWorks as an avi using the standard microsoft video 1 codec set at 90 percent. The file size is huge. About 200 mb for 45 seconds of video. To get around this I use a free program called "video framer". I convert the avi into a windows media file wma and that shrinks the file size to about 10 megs with no noticeable loss in quality. It's an unbelieveable difference is file size. Another plus is the animation not only plays on a computer but most new dvd players sold today will recognize and play the wma format.

Ok, I made a bunch of movies for a company in MPEG4v2 Compression using the > SolidWorks Animator. I get a letter back saying that they couldn't play them > and installing something to play them should not be the answer, so now I have > to encode them to something else. Whats the standard, avi (what codec?), mpeg > (where is that option even?)??? I need help! I need nice quality but not 50mb a > movie, maybe 10mb for 30sec. > > THANKS!!! > > > > ----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- >
The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

I would like to know this as well. I have the DivX codec, but that one produces awful output from Animator, even at high quality settings. The only one I can get to produce good output is 'Uncompressed Frames', but the file size is too large. I even downloaded Windows Media Encoder to try and convert the uncompressed file, but couldn't get it to open. Anyone have recommendations as to what codec to use and what settings to use with it?

Mike Wilson and Brian Hill, what do you guys use (if you don't mind sharing your secrets)?

Reply to
Jeff Norfolk

Hi Kevin, That is what I usually recommend for short animations that take maybe a few hours to render. You end up with perfect frames that can then be compressed using one of the many programs out there. If something goes wrong, you didn't lose too much time.

For more intense animations some people prefer saving as individual TGA or BMP files. That way you can salvage part of the animation if something goes haywire.

Here is a good link from a few months back...

Look at Paul Salvador's answers as well as Brian Hill's (PW_Guru).

Here are some links to get started...

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson