Repairing corrupt files

Is there a utility to try to repair corrupt SolidWorks files? I have had several over the past year and some of them are very complex so recreating is very time consuming.

Reply to
news.lightship.net

I know of none other than restoring last night's backup. If you submit it to your VAR, they may be able to send it to SW for analysis as a bug. In the past, this has resulted in the corrected file being returned to me several weeks after submission.

I recommend an aggressive backup regimen. Even something as simple as a batch file to make copies of project folders every night might be helpful. The backup files created by SW can be useful, but sometimes the corruption isn't noticed until all the SW automated backups are affected. I don't do this myself, because I only rarely see corrupted files.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

something I've found help is to use EcoSqueeze to remove all the display list crud and preview image from the file. Works up to 2004 (been off using Inventor* for the last few months - bleeurgh - so can't advise as to 2k5 suitability)

Chris

  • returning to the one true way soon...
Reply to
Chris

SW can fix these things. But it may take some time unless your VAR submits it with a real sense of urgency. Also, this is one case where running a defrag program doesn't help because it removes the information from the file that they use to fix it.