sae material specification

Can anyone out there help? I am currently trying to wade through a large pile of prints that are all from a Japanese company. If anyone else has ever dealt with prints from Japan you understand my pain. We (USA) don't seem to see eye to eye on how drawings should be structured. Anyway here is my question. I have a part that needs to be recreated and I am clueless about what type of material it was previously made from. All the drawing says is SAE590700 as the material. Does anyone know what these are or were I can find out what it is? 1018, A-2, 4140, 6061 ?????

Reply to
jlbeen

is it first angle or third angle projection? that is always fun...

the drawing says, "SAE590700". does the 'SAE' signify tha the material has already been converted from something to what we can understand? have you googled the SAE number?

bob z. p.s. congratulations on sinking that sub

Reply to
bobzee1

One place to look is in the back of a Misumi catalog if you have one handy... they have a list of JIS standard steels and what the American equivalent is...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Good idea, but not any help in this case. I have never looked in the back of the Misumi catalog until today................. there is some good stuff back there. Thanks for the infoz.

Reply to
jlbeen

I can help you out with one of the numbers. 4140 is Pre-heat treated shafting steel used as standard steel for precision ground revolving shafts of all types, from high speed hydrostatic and magnistatic spindle shafts, to high quality cam and crank shafts. It has been the concensus most widely used throughout the machine and tool industry for many years. With regards to the other numbers, I would suggest that you obtain any steel company's heat treating hand book, (given out free), and look up the numbers. You might want to go online and look up Crucible Steel, Carpenter Steel, Ackerlind Steel, Bethlehem Steel and many more, and eventually you will run across the numbers and their complete description of properties, etc. I am sure that the Japanese steel manufacturers offer the same courtesy to their accounts.

Good luck, G. De Angelis

De Angelis Tool Valhalla Grafix

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to