Saving problems and errors

I am a computer tech with a user who is having multiple problems with Solidworks 2003. I am no Solidworks expert by any means. He has the following for a computer:

P4 2.4 GHz

1,024 MB of PC2100 RAM 32.0 GB Hard drive 533 MHz Front side Bus Nvidia Quadro 4 (990XGL or somthing like that) for video 5,000 MB swap file running Windows 2000 SP4

He works from his hard drive (not the network). His assemblies contain about 1750 parts. He has many problems saving. Usually "Solidworks is unable to obtain the required memory". Is this normal? I have talked with our Solidworks reseller and they don't have a clue. He is on the newest service pack so that is no option. What can he or I do to take care of this. I was looking to get two 1 gig RAM chips but they are $1300.00 a piece. That really isn't an option. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@maysteel.com

Reply to
jfideler

According to the SW 2003 sp4 release notes, SW is not yet qualified on win2k sp4. The only issue given is that installation fails. Perhaps a roll- back to windows sp3? Does anyone out there have good success on Win2k SP4?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I don't think SW 2003 is compatible with Win2000 SP4. Back up to SP3.

You might also want to reduce the swap file to about 2.5 gig, your just wasting space, and possibly causing problems. There is an upper memory limit for windows.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

He does have service pack 3 instead of 4 (my mistake). Also Solidworks told me to set the swap file at 3 to 4 Gig. I just followed what he said. Also I was checking on another board which said that your cache should be 10% of the amount of RAM. I have 1,024 MB of RAM and I have a P4 with 512K of cache. Would it be a good idea to move to a Pentium Xeon with 1MB of cache? I will try lowering his swap file down to 2.5 GB. Also what memory limitations does Windows have?

Reply to
jfideler

If SW isn't allocating more than 2048 MB of memory as given by the task manager, then I don't think new hardware is the solution here. How much memory is it using?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I just wanted to note that I've seen that error before and I have 2 gigs of ram and a 4 gig swap and the same Win2000sp3 and SW version/sp and local use (no network). I think it is a SW problem and I was not able to localize it or send it for report.

BTW, as for the RAM cost, that is way too expensive for PC2100! Go to

, look under Memory/System.. For the non Reg ECC it should start at about $120 and for the Reg ECC it should be about $230. Otherwise, it depends on the memory stick he has now and mating it up but I would suggest getting a new mated pair.

For the memory on M$ 2000, it depends, I believe... Professional = 2 gigs max per app/processor (but in reality it's actually something like 1.8 gigs?) Server = 3 gigs max per app/processor (but in reality it's actually something like 2.5 gigs?)

And there is a new SW setting for raising the value to 3 gigs? (I'm not sure if this applies to Professional?? see SW Faq site).

If you do a search on the net, you can get a better answer regarding NT/2000/XP memory.

Reply to
Paul Salvador