scaling problems

Using Solidworks 2004 Edu. and have a model I can not scale down. Scales up fine. But when trying to scale down tells me that it will result in inconsitant geometry. It's all one solid body right now... any Ideas?

thanks

-Brad

Reply to
Brad

I've run into that before. I'd have to see the relative sizes of features. Look for areas that will turn into small thin slivers.

Reply to
TOP

"Brad" wrote in news:1114453108.648794.237750 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I had a similar problem with a model recently. I'm designing a cast aluminum intake manifold. I am experimenting with a technique where I've modeled the core and the shell as separate models, both with primary references to a skeleton part. I then use the cavity feature to subtract the core from the shell, leaving me my as cast model. So far the has made it much easier to control the draft of the core and shell separately.

The problem showed up deep in the design. One the core, some of the last features I had were delete faces, lofts, a knit, and then a thicken. This worked fine until I wanted to add some extra bosses above all that in the tree. At that time, the cavity feature would fail, giving me the same error you saw...scale would fail due because it would result in inconsistent geometry. The thing I thought was strange about that is my cavity feature had no scaling factor.

Ultimately, after chasing dead ends for half a day, I was able to fix it by deleting the thicken feature, and getting the same result by checking the box to form solid in the last knit command. I didn't expect this to work, but tried it on a whim, as I was running out of options. Since then the model has been stable.

I suppose this doesn't really help you with your problem directly, but maybe it will be a seed for ideas from others.

MHill

SW2005 sp0

Reply to
MHill