scripting Solidworks

Hi,

Currently we're -an architectural office- are using Rhino for a lot of our modelling. Though its time to sober up & start using a parametric modeller. What's really cool about Rhino is how easy it is to script it, and how in depth its methods are made available to you. Currently I'm writing modules for Rhino from Python (JungleBoogie!) via COM which is working very well. The only thing that troubles me severly is that Rhino just isnt a parametric modeller. Which does make it a bit of a stone-age modeller. Could you share some of your experiences scripting Solidworks with me? I haven't found a single thing on the solidworks site on scripting it, which does worry me ;)

Cheers, Jelle

Reply to
jelleferinga

Look under API instead of script. SW is highly programmable. However, you may not need it as much as you did with Rhino.

Just be aware that there are some limitations with SW regarding architecture. For example it would not be possible to model the new replacement for the WTC in SW because it would be more that a kilometre from the top of the building to the lowest sub basement. But for ordinary sized buildings and lots smaller than a kilometre on a side you should be OK.

You might also want to review StructureWorks for techniques to use in modeling buildings. I am not suggesting that you do everything in prestressed concrete, just look at the techniques they use to get SW to run in a reasonable amount of time with all the detail necessary to build a building.

Reply to
TOP