WiFi two way tutorial?

Assuming you use Linux, virtually any system with wireless internet access can do it out of the box.

There is an mpeg encoder (ffmpeg) that comes ith a server, thus you have streaming video. Most all Linux distributions come with Apache web server. Just make CGI scripts that control the robot.

See, easy.

Reply to
mlw

Cloak disengaged...

I have been googling for a tutorial on WiFi control of a bot and have only found folks wanting to sell complete systems.

Are there any good sites that would explain how to set up a system that could control a bot from a WiFi enabled laptop using an html page and receive back live video from the bot?

I intend to use a mini-itx board for the bot with a heavy base and battery setup.

Thank you for any help pointing me in the right direction.

Engage cloak...

Reply to
Rudolph

Thought not laptop-based (that just makes it easier to do, actually), go here for a demonstration and backgrounder:

and maybe subscribe to the mailing list he manages. The author of the page (Michael Owings) hangs out here as well.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

The below newsgroup has a lot of wifi info. I assume you want the laptop to be the control interface and the mini-itx board will be in the robot. If you run something like win98 on the miniboard with the apache webserver, then web control and video would be pretty easy. The communication between the laptop and the mini board could be one to one in the adhoc mode, or you could use a wireless router in between for more flexability. The bottom link shows an example of simple web video and web control of servos.

alt.internet.wireless

Si Ballenger

As long as you have a Mini-ITX board (hopefully running Linux), you can run Tomcat for a web interface.

You can use a basic web cam (I'm using a Logitech Orbit) with the new pwc driver. Hint: do not try running a webcam through a USB hub -- connect it to one of the motherboard's ports instead.

As a base I'm using a Zagros Robotics 16" diameter base with a 12V 12 amp-hour battery for the motors and two 12 V 7 amp- hour batteries in series for the electronics (run the 24 V through a DC-DC converter to get 12 V). I get a 4-5 hour run time with these batteries.

My motherboard is a Pentium M board so it uses more power than the VIA Mini-ITX boards.

-- D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman

Thanks to all who have replied, this is a lot better info than what I was getting with the search.

Now off to study!

Reply to
Rudolph

I'm working on the same thing right now as the first phase of a goal i have in mind. I went the expensive route and I have a powerbook sitting on a VEX Robotic Set

I had troubles with web cams but finally got one that works with a Mac. Currently I'm using a helpful, but mac only tool called evocam
to broadcast streaming video with its own server. I'm now looking into sending commands to the laptop over the web page. A friend told me it can be done in Java Script so I start learning java script tomorow! Also I have to make or wait to get a a VEX programming module to interface between the laptop and the PIC microcontroller box it comes with. If anyone has the java-script code or a better alternative for sending realtime commands through the internet please post a message. I'm not too excited about learning java script.

Also, the powerbook is also for personal use, not just the robot.

Reply to
DaveFowler