self intersecting loft?

How do I handle a self intersecting loft error?

I have two profiles that touch.

Thanks.

Reply to
dlevy

You've asked enough questions that you should know that such a vague question can only get a vague answer.

It depends on how the profiles touch and your tangency settings. The profiles can't "cross", but it might work if they touch at a single edge. Intuitively, the surface that's created can't create an invalid solid, if you're making a solid. If you really need something that selfintersects, you'll have to use multiple features, bodies or surfaces. Also this often happens if you use tangency or push the tangency weighting too far.

Or you could just use the magic switch that solves self intersection problems. That's in the next release;o)

Reply to
mjlombard

I'm trying to be specific. I am essentially lofting two profiles around an axis. The begining profile is not identical to the ending profile.

It does touch at a single edge but I still can't get it to work.

That would be fine but I can't visualize how I would break it up.

Reply to
dlevy

If the profiles touch at the axis, this creates singularities and degenerate surfaces. In some situations it just won't work. There are examples when this works, but its typically geometry specific.

You haven't mentioned anything about tangency end conditions or guide curves.

How about making it one face at a time?

Anyway, best of luck.

Reply to
matt

Reply to
dlevy

You may have already thought of this but....

Make sure that when you are selecting you profiles for the loft, you pick them in consistant areas. If you do not the loft can twist, which can cause intersecting errors. Also, it is recommended that each profile has an equal number of entities. For example, if you are lofting a square to a circle, the square has four lines, the circle just one. You should break the circle in to four segments, that way SW know where each point is suposed to go. I don't have the Advanced Part Modeling manual in front of me, but close the to same page you refered to, it explains this concept.

Good Luck Mike

dlevy wrote:

Reply to
SW-Mike

Dewd!!! Thank you! I had to have the same number of entities!!!!

I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me!

Reply to
dlevy

You don't HAVE to have the same number of entities, it just minimizes the chances that SW will get confused.

Jerry Steiger

You can often do the same thing with connectors as with splitting up sketches.

Reply to
matt

Thanks guys.

Matt, you seem to have a problem with my questions. I apologize if they are too vauge or simple. I do find verbalizing my questions difficult. Hell, I think the software is difficult. Anyway, thanks for bearing with me and I hope I can help in the future.

Reply to
dlevy