Sheet metal items in weldments

I have the need to create a weldment which consists of a few different structural members and two folded sheet metal plates. I can create the initial sheet metal component, but cannot insert a second sheet metal item.

Does anyone know of any techniques to make this work correctly?

Reply to
r.obryan

===============================

Hi, Do one thing, first create a 3D sketch of ur model and then insert the weldments, it will reduce errors...and control the weldments by using the 3D sketchs......

Regards, Raghu Prashanth V

Reply to
raghuprashnath

With sheet metal you can only have one part no multi bodies. What I have done in the past is create the sheet metal components seperately from the weldment and then you can insert the sheet metal parts into the weldment part via drag and drop or insert-part... you can then mate the part as if it were an assembly in 2007.

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to rebuild the part each time the sheet metal is changed to make sure the parts are the same.

Not the best solution but the only one that works for me.

Make sure to add multibody sheet metal parts to the enhancement list at SolidWorks website

Ben

p.s. Post the same question at

and some of the other news groups out there like the solidworks yahoo group to get some other alternatives to this.

Reply to
Ben

Just a thought:

Insert both sheet metal items into a third part into which the structural members also reside. The sheet metal items will stand alone in their own parts but will be incorporated into the weldment. This will not allow referencing the whole to define the sheet metal parts unless you have another part which consists of surfaces and planes which you would use as a template for the whole thing and have it inserted into all three for reference.

TOP

Reply to
TOP