Solidworks Chopper

Thought some of you might want to see the Orange County Chopper built for the SolidWorks 2005 show.

scota

Nice pics of the chopper! I like a lot of these bikes that are being built. It's seems like it's not very unique anymore to see a chopper though. What with all the different companies creating them. But the one thing that I like about OCC that makes them stand out from everybody else, is that they make theme bikes.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney

I am surprised that SolidWorks doesn't have photos on their web site. Seems like it would be good promotional material for them.

I had to do a photo search for the pics on the web to find them.

There was a lot of articles on the bike but no photo with the articles.

Reply to
scota

I'm more of a function over form guy. Those choppers look neat but that's about the extent of their purpose. If you want to see some neat innovative thinking with motorcycles check out this guy's site....

rockstarwallyMYAPPENDIX

Naah, it's not all that innovative, nor practical. Want to see innovative, and real word practicality?

:)

Reply to
Steve Mackay

I would agree that the Buell is more practical, the XB12R is one of my favourite bikes. But I think the C1 is definitely more innovative. The Buell's brakes, frame and swingarm are all very cool but is nothing really ground breaking. Granted the C1's suspension isn't really ground breaking either but the engine is very innovative.

Of course if I had to buy one or the other I'd choose the Buell.

Reply to
rockstarwallyMYAPPENDIX

I'm just a bit biased however... Here's our current "fleet" of Buells :)

've also done a mold or two for Buell.

Reply to
Steve Mackay

Buell uses thinkID. Why ? :>)

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

But are they engineers, or designers? The two are not always bundled into the same package. Billy Lane really is an engineer who can also create art while following his dream, but he's unique. The hardest part is finding people who are both who don't want more than six figures in their paycheck.

Reply to
Charlie Gary

*SOMETIMES* they use Think3. I've had files from Think3, ProE, and Solidworks from Buell. Cosmetic parts are done in Think3 for the obvious reasons.

btw, Think3 exports are icky!

Reply to
Steve Mackay

Billy Lan

Reply to
Why

Billy Lane don't like band saws that crap out on him, did you see that Charlie?

Reply to
Why

I missed it. What did he do, melt it with a torch?

Reply to
Charlie Gary

He's the computer guy, right? ;-)

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Almost, but he used a B(FORD)H & beat it to death right when he needed it for the biker build off. The one where he was making that tank. Damn he is good. If I could do that then I could party with the gals he does, instead I just set here with Sulphur oil running down my nose :( Maybe in my next life?

Reply to
Why

Damn Sulphur oil screws up the keyboard, time to put it in the dishwasher again!

Reply to
Why

I won't tell Cookie if you don't. ;-)

Reply to
Charlie Gary

With all your skills and knowledge regarding Cadd Cam Jon its a little surprising folks like yerself haven't been writing programs for machining using matlab ?

John

Reply to
John Scheldroup

A CAD/CAM system should encourage a user to experiment rather than forcing a user to have a very good idea of exactly want they want to create from the get go. This cuts to the heart of why Buell uses thinkID and what the real power of Global Shape Modeling is. In a nut shell... GSM encourages experimentation.

IMO, it's very important to realize just how good the thinkID GSM UI is:

No obnoxious dialog boxes. No move to the side of the screen to enter info in a modeling panel ... which is better than model obscuring dialog boxes but not anywhere near as good as what think does with the GSM part of it's UI. This UI should be used in all of thinkID / thinkDesign but it still isn't. : (

BTW, I sent you an e-mail a few weeks ago to your hotmail account in regards to VX. I did not address your complaints on VX's marketing needing help but I am ready to at this point... in e-mail. Suffice it to say your point still does seem to be valid.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Reply to