Spring Animation

Hi
Im a second year student doing a form of Automotive eng at Uni, and am doing my own suspension setup for a side project.
I have modelled springs no problem, however a major part of what i wanted was to animate the spring damper unit extending and compressing, however i have searched continuously and have found nothing.
Could anyone help, this is exactly what i want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFzGWRVFUmQ
but i dont know how to get it. Before refering me to mike wilsons website please actually describe which component you mean as i cant find one on there that relates to springs like this.
Thanks for any help
Ben
Here are some files I put together 2 weeks ago to show a way to do it,..
http://www.zxys.com/misc/spring-comp-ani_zxys.zip (sw2006 files) http://www.zxys.com/misc/spring-comp-ani_zxys.m4v (simple video)
..
On Dec 10, 3:36 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cool use of Wrap! It hadn't occured to me that you could wrap something mulitple times around cylinder.
Jerry Steiger
Not sure if this has been said already but I like to use the sweep command to do a helix.... stay with me... not the normal way... draw a line (the hieght) and a circle on the same plane (different sketches) make the centre of the circle inline with the bottom of the line.
now use the sweep tool. the circle should be 90deg out from the normal way you would do a sweep. select the path and profile as normal. use the twist/orientation and choose twist along path. I use no of rotations but you can specify an angle too. The path line can be any shape you like... not just a line.
You can drop this into and assebly and use incontext relations to relate the path (line) to other parts. or just animate the hieght of the line.
hoep that make sense. Justin

Im unclear on this, i have the files but its simular to my situation, there seems to be no inbuilt way of animating like in your video, which is exactly what i want. When i try to move the spring stays solid and the endplate moves up and down. Can you go through exactly what you did to animate it, step by step?
Deepak, that would be great
Maybe someone has a better way or a super fast computer with some super auto resolve processor running but for the spring to update in real-time or dynamically or after you just move the piston...I don't think it's gunna happen.
For the spring to update after moving the piston rod, you have to REBUILD the model to resolve for the new spring height. You have to click on the Red/Green light icon, Edit/Rebuild or Ctrl-B. Again, it does NOT update automatically or dynamically or in real time. If you have Animator installed, just click on the Animator1 tab to see the frame settings... I'm just moving the piston down and up within 3 seconds.
Anyway, the spring geometry is as simple as it gets, no equations, no macros, no whatever,.. just good ole plain jane geometry, just like a spring would be wound and with mates driving the height change, as close to real would as you can get,.. it's not a perfect spring but close as simple gets.
btw, the help speed rebuilds up,.. - Change the Document Properties/Image Quality/... all to Lower values or what is visually tolerable. - Set to Lightweight - Turn Off "verification on rebuild" - and,.. get a super computer
..
On Dec 11, 7:25 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

btw, animator will auto-rebuild per frame...

Thanks that is brilliant, i am not working on adapting Jerry steiger ^^^'s spring, but cannot seem to relate the hieght of the spring to my components, he has used a external reference but there seems to be no way to edit this for my own part. Anyone know a solution?
Thanks again
Ben

No worries, worked it out meself, Just had to delete the relation and make a new respective one for my part

Oh, and thank you all, and i appoligise for my silliness in places :D
Here is the link of the avi file of Spring Animation. I will soon uploading the Solidworks files also.
http://www.uploading.com/files/01ZKLZAZ/Spring_Animation.avi.html
Regards
Deepak
On Dec 12, 3:45 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Paul, At SWx World I will be showing a real-time-updating-compression-spring- workaround based on this thread. I have a pretty slow computer at home, but on it I developed a 'better way' for animations that I can extend or compress while dragging the mated components. For those who can't go, a couple of solutions will be up on the Dimontegroup.com website a week or so after the show. Ed
Ahmm.... so,.. why can't you just post the data for us to see now???
Why does someone have to go to a show to see this or wait until after??
..

Here is the link of the spring file I have made. Hope it work for the one looking for it. Pls post your comments/ suggestions to make it much better.
http://www.uploading.com/files/FC3J2JNW/spring.zip.html
password: SW2007
Deepak

Sorry, Paul - I'm just way too busy for the next week. After the show I have time to clean the models up and get them posted for download.
And I agree - no need to go to the show. Since my first presentation I have shared everything with folks over our website.
and very nice of you too Mr Eaton...looking forward to seeing the latest.. ;o)
You very mean man, Mr. Eaton... ;^)
..

Aren't you just dripping with anticipation? Now I have to take extra time to make it super awesome... I guess you will have to wait until March so I can get it dialed in to meet your expectations. :) Ed
Oh joy,.. this is just like waiting for a service pack to be released.
Or, maybe,.. the March SW2008 SP released allows us all to see this workaround?
..

Hey zxys, take a happy pill. You're draggin' the newsgroup down.