surfacing for blockheads

I have been reviewing Ed Eatons informative SW "tutorials" I was working on the "Atomic Bomb fillet part and was not able to cut with surface as he shows in the PPT presentation.

Am running SW2005/SP4. Has solidworks changed the function of cut with surface since the release of his presentation?

I realize that right up front he says SWx is subject to change without notice and work-arounds are required, so I did figure out a work around, but it bugs me to see that darn error message pop up.........arghhhhhh

Cheers, Brad

Brad

HP-24 is a very nice looking sailplane.

Bo

Reply to
Bonobo

Try tutorial 5, and thanks Ed.

Reply to
jmather

Why doesn't it work? Complex edges meeting complex edges is always dodgy and results can change from one service pack to another - it's generally much better to handle it yourself by deleting the faces instead of counting on 'cut with surface' to figure out how to trim and delete the faces for you.

FYI - that is a very old slide to show the basic principle. Today, you ought to first try Insert>Face>delete face, and select 'delete and fill' from the options, and 'tangent fill down at the bottom. Then pick the faces of the block, hit OK and you are done.

Delete and fill is a macro that does the following:

- Deletes the faces of the block from the model (turning a solid model into a surface model)

- Creates a surface fill tangent to the surrounding faces

- Knits the surface fill to the rest of the model

- Converts the model to a solid.

Reply to
ed1701

I have run into this problem before. The fix has been to change the shape and/or size and/or location of the "stop" feature slightly. I think the cause of the problem is that the cutting surface doesn't always cut completely into the "stop" feature within SW internal tolerances. So a slight joggle here or there usually makes it behave.

Reply to
TOP