SW2004 improvemetns

Does a document exist that lists side by side what upgrades were made from SW2001+ to 2003 and then 2004? We've gotten our 2004 cd's and they (the higher ups) won't upgrade unless there's a real reason for it. They wouldn't install 2003 for that reason. From what I've read and heard, I think 2004 is a more significant improvement over 2003 than 2003 was over

2001+.
Reply to
Barna Madau

I don't know of any side-by-side comparison, but each release has a "What's new" that shows all the new stuff. I can't believe you are still sitting on

2001+ just for lack of "real reason." There were MANY improvements in 2003. My sincere condolences.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Could you email me the what's new files? You don't know the difficulty we have getting our IT person to do anything for us, and we are not allowed to do that kind of stuff for ourselves.

Reply to
Barna Madau

I feel your pain.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

I just sent you a ZIP file with both the 2003 & 2004 files - hope it helps. There have been so many changes for the better, it's hard to imagine you getting so much resistance to upgrading when you've already paid for them. Maybe you need to have your IT person call here so we can convince them of how much it's costing and hurting your company by not upgrading.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Tell your IT people that they are bloody idiots! Yes, maybe wait for the first service pack, But then install. They have cost you and your company so much wasted time. Upgrading from 2001 to 2004 will be like using a new program. It is better to learn a little at a time with each service pack or upgrade. Think of Windows95 and now XP Professional, totally a different program with so many new and quicker ways of doing things! As I said Bloody idiots!

Reply to
pete

I've got enough evidence and followers to convince management to make the upgrade. I haven't seen nearly the complaints about 2004 that there were about 2003 on this usergroup. I hope I don't offend, but it looks like they took a lot of cue's from Inventor on what to do with SW. The improvements would be huge timesavers for us. Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
Barna Madau

Barna, I recommend erring on the side of caution. If you are in the middle of project work on some seats, it could be very unwise of you to switch horses in mid-stream. It can even be unwise to switch if you know a portion of one project is going to be used in development for followup projects. If you do so and problems result it could be YOUR ass that gets in a tight crack. If you start the transition on seats that are beginning a new project, or are not long after the beginning, you're relatively much safer. If your IT department indicates it's going to be "all or nothing" be sure to write a memo indicating your reservations about doing so and copy your boss.

The reas>

Reply to
Sporkman

It's on the Solidworks website.....

Dan

Reply to
Dan Engelbreth

I agree with Sporky.

It's not just assemblies. Parts with tricky shapes will often fail in new releases. We had to fix parts in the transition from 2001 to 2001+. We ended up sticking with 2001+ because it wasn't worth it to try and fix all the problems that showed up in 2003. They're still broken in 2004 and we are about to try fixing them. Wish us luck.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

that's not enough. they could also say : it's better, buy it. for example, the display is 0.5% faster; i could say ; the display is improved but is this a real improvement ?

we're looking for a real changelog with bug fix and described improvementS.

even our var can't answer. they must try.

+++
Reply to
TTB