sw2007 dimensions

I am running sw2007 service pack 3.1and it works fine until I go to make a drawing and start putting dimensions on the drawing......it brings my system to its knees. Is there anything I may be doing wrong? Is it possible to turn off the "snap" of the dimensions to line up with other dimensions?

Reply to
Jeff Folkert

Did you have an earlier version of SolidWorks that was working well with the drawings you create?

Are you new to SolidWorks from another cad system and this is the first drawings you are making?

Can you give more detail on your computer hardware, cpu, video, memory?

Also more detail on the complexity of the part/assembly you are trying to detail. Is it a whole asm that you are detailing in a single drawing with multiple pages, or single part/asm single drawing. How many views and sheets in the drawing? Are there a lot of sections, cropped and broken views, etc.

We need some more detail to give you an opinion of what your problem may be... :-)

Regards,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

OK...here is more detials......sorry for the lack earlier.

Pentium 4

2.6 GHz 1.5GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX440 Dell Dimension XP Pro

I have been using Solidworks since 1996 and I have loved it since we started. The system I am using now I have been using for a about 2 years and has performed well for the simple parts and assemblies I draw.

The part is a simple 3/4" diamter shaft with a few steps in it and some offsets......much simpler than anything most people are doing I am sure. No section views or multiple pages or anything complex. It happens in all new drawings but I have found that if I create the drawing with the standard 3 views, save the drawing, and then open the drawing again it seems to function much faster, but not what I have been used to for such simple parts.

Maybe it is time to upgrade my system.....it is getting a bit out of date.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff,

SW2007, in my experience stresses, the hardware more then previous version of SolidWorks. I would guess your GeForce card is what is giving you issues as it is an old gaming card.

I am assuming the GeForce is an AGP card. You may want to see if you can pick-up and Nvidia Quadro video card, maybe an FX1100 or an FX500 as those are AGP cards. Then get the current SW approved drivers for the card.

Time for you to consider upgrading your entire system, as the software will continue to move forward and be optimized for the newer Intel/AMD chips and will out run the power available on your current system.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

Jeff,

The out of date, low end gaming card is most likely your problem. SolidWorks 2007 and beyond demand much more from the hardware then the SolidWorks of 5-6 yesrs ago when your video card first came out. Look to see if you can get an Nvidia Quadro FX500 or FX1100 used on Ebay for a short term fix.

Time for you to look for a new computer and seriously consider getting yourself a workstation class machine like a Dell Precision 390 workstation, not their office class of computers. Intel Core2Duo E6600 or higher CPU with a Nvidia Quadro FX550 and about 2 gigs of ram. CAD needs the power you get with the higher end components. It will be a rocket ship compared to what you have today.

Regards,

Anna Wood

Reply to
Anna Wood

Anna,

Thanks for the insight.....I figured that was the issue but thought I would get other opinions before I put in a request for a new computer.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff