Thin extrude: link to thickness?

When I do a thin extrude, I can't find "link to thickness". So I come back on the dim and link.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

The "link to thickness" option appears by default only when you have already inserted a sheet metal feature into a part.

If you are just creating solid features, you have to create a dimension "link" and if it is named "thickness", then the "link to thickness" option will appear in the feature definition dialog box even though no sheet metal feature has been introduced.

This can be useful either when a solid is be> When I do a thin extrude, I can't find "link to thickness". So I come back

Reply to
POH

One neat trick you can use is to create a template where you have used a link value called "thickness", but then deleted all the sketches and features. When you use that template, you will always get the "link to thickness" without making it sheetmetal or creating a new link value.

Matt

"POH" wrote in news:1111672999.122505.187900 @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
matt

"matt" a écrit dans le message de news:Xns962366BA738Exxx@199.45.49.11...

-------- Oh yes!

Thanks

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

"POH" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

I jumped of joy too early. In fact, I had already set up my templates with the thickness link.

But still, no 'link to thickness' on a _thin_ extrude. For the _thin_ value I meant, of course. I wonder if I translate the _thin_ extrude correctly

SW2004 Sp5 / W2k here.

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

Hi Jean Marc,

Presumably you are making a sheet metal part here as the thickness is a "reserved" word for sheet metal parts.

through the dialogue box and it toggles the "lower" inputs to follow thickness. But in the absence of this, one should be able to use the link value option on a feature dimension that has been created to establish this link.

This might help your situation. Personally, I eschew manually naming any variable using "thickness" as a name as it will sometimes complicate the use of this variable (by "the system") for sheet metal parts. When this variable is predefined, one must change it by changing the depth of the inital extrude depth. In the past (like sw2000-ish) it also inhibited the sheet metal definition.

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams