thoughts on quadra4 980 xgl?

Hi,

Just wondering about your experiences with this card. I'm upgrading (again) and this card is about 800$ cad. I already have a geForce4 4200 ti pro in my current system, but when I upgraded to winxp I encountered stability problems with the soft-quadro hack and reinstalled the card as a gf4. Now I am constantly encountering the 'accelerated window' bug, but am reluctant to reinstall the hack.

I guess I'm writing because I can't seem to justify spending 800$ on a graphics card these days....

Is it worth it in your opinion?

Thanks!

Zander

Reply to
Zander

fyi, in usa, it's a $500 card.

Reply to
kenneth b

We have been running the 900 XGL in several machines and are very pleased. We are expecting a new 980 XGL to try just any day now (should have already been here) so I'll let you know as soon as I know something.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Wayne,

Unless you have 8X AGP, you won't see much difference. The 980 is just the

8X version of the 900 (which is 4X). I've also read that 8X AGP isn't even really supported on current hardware (even if the MB says it's 8X). Something about the data rate being too fast for current buss controller hardware.

It should at least run as fast, or a little faster, than the 900.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

The quadro4 is not the newest from nVidia. Get one from the quadro FX series, it is the latest and greatest. The bottom of the line Quadro FX 500 is about $300 off ebay in the US and it will support realview. The only difference between the 500 and the better cards is more memory and a faster onboard processor.

Timelord

Reply to
Timelord

I have just installed a '980, running SW2004 SP1 and am very happy with the video card. Had a Matrox GL550 -- a real dog, and then a WildCat 560 which caused endless problems. The 980 has been stable and fast, although I am only running it in a 4X motherboard.

-- Regards, Gavin Melville snipped-for-privacy@acclipse.co.nz

Reply to
Gavin Melville

you might be better off with a xgl980.