Share your experiences

I would like to know a couple of things from the group. Here are my questions. I know the right answers I just need a group response as well....

1) When up dating to the next service pack has anyone ever been burned from a bad SolidWorks service pack? (Meaning did you have to uninstall reinstall or roll back a SP)

2) If you are a CAD Admin do you typically install the new service pack to the whole group right away or test on your machine first? Why is it a good idea to test first?

3) Does anyone upgrade just to upgrade?

You resposes would very much be appreciated.

KMaren

Reply to
ken.maren

I guess I want to add one more simple question. (I know the answer to this too :-)) Has SolidWorks ever put out a bad service pack?

KMaren

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
ken.maren

New to SW ? :-)

They often put out a crap sp - so they quickly solve it so SPx goes to SPx.1 - However , look on the bright side - I don't think they have yet issued a SPx.2

Some one has to be the first penguin off the Ice sheet. We all hope that they get to shout out if there is an orca seal in the water !!

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

The newsgroup is littered with people saying, oops, I upgraded and now am in a world of hurt because of this or that in a new release or service pack. Even the SW EULA says that it is the user's responsibility to make sure the product does what they expect.

I used to try and get my VAR to "qualify" a service pack. This goes back to SW 98.

Just to let you know, we are still running 2004. Tested and found wanting, the new releases I did.

Yoda

Reply to
TOP

Bad pack? Yup, but fortunately it was yanked by the end of the day and I had not installed it yet. :-) I have never yet had to roll back or uninstall a SP.

I watch for the SP ev announcements and then install it on my machine. I look at the list of SPR's that it supposedly addresses and look for anything that addresses an issue we are fighting. If found, I may install on someone else's machine. But more often I wait for the official release, install on my own, listen to the group chatter, and then if all looks fine, start installing on all machines as the need and opportunity arises. If the list includes an important issue to us, I am more apt to install quicker. Otherwise, what's the hurry? If they are happy, why mess with them?

Oh, we have 18 seats that I manage.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
1) When up dating to the next service pack has anyone ever been burned from a bad SolidWorks service pack? (Meaning did you have to uninstall reinstall or roll back a SP) Not since the 14 Service Packs in the 2001/2001 Plus era. Newer Service Packs have improved.

2) If you are a CAD Admin do you typically install the new service pack to the whole group right away or test on your machine first? Why is it a good idea to test first? I test myself, then recommend/distribute.

3) Does anyone upgrade just to upgrade? Nope

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

I haven't had any problems in 4 years, but then I wait for a bit before I jump in with both feet. The water temperature is always more comfortable that way.

I'm still on 2005, so I guess you can say I'm waiting for the coffee to cool on StarBucksWorks 2006.

Bo

Reply to
BoC