To SW

I've thought about it, and am still thinking about it. I don't think to try to "boycott" anything, no. But to cooperatively communicate with SolidWorks, maybe. There are others who have more influence, who are CURRENTLY making a difference, and who would also likely cooperate or coordinate with one or all of us. And such persons would also likely be more effective than we three. I'm in touch with some of those. I personally doubt my own credibility with SolidWorks Corp. But email me if you like and we can "talk" about it.

Best regards, Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Charlotte, NC

Reply to
Sporkman

"CSN" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Hi Calvin,

sorry forthe delay.

Yes, it is still possible to do a real server/client install with SW2004, but unfortuinately it is not documented. One of the great guys from our VAR found the switch:

First make an administrative image as usual

Now install a client from the AI

When presented the dialog SolidWorks / SW Office / Userdefined check the "User defined" checkbox. The next dialog box is the key: in the topmost dropdownbox (the one labeled SolidWorks 2004 SP...) you have the option to "install the components to start from network"

I don't know the english dialog boxes, but you will see, what I mean. I have a screenshot from german dialogbox in my WI issues memo -

HTH, Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Berlitz

Indeed some of you long time vocal users have some influence with SolidWorks, but I am looking at myself and most users as having zero recognition with Solidworks people. Good luck.

I personally still think this situation is a result of the idiotic concept that there is a God-Given commandment on the Temple Mount that says there shall be a major software release once during each orbit of the Earth around the Sun. I don't remember Moses being quoted that way.

We users who don't migrate to 2004 won't have those lost times (though I have optimistically kept my subscription up), and indeed, I may have to wait for 2005 to settle down before I ever pay a subscription price again.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

As I spoke before in the thread starting with "Solidworks... WTF!!?"... I agree with everything here. And... although I haven't read the entire thread, I want to mention, in case it hasn't been mentioned before...

You can't even upgrade an existing installation if you have toolbox parts in use?! What the hell!? I can understand, "sort of", not being able to do a new install of Swx... but now I can't even upgrade the existing installations?!

Hey Swx... how about some compensation for having to work off hours to get this software installed/upgraded!?

I would think most of the free world is sharing a toolbox folder for obvious reasons. So... the question is, is it necessary for you to upgrade the toolbox database and/or parts every service pack? I mean... what are you doing to it?

Also... I don't think we can blame Microsoft for this debacle. Granted.. it's a Microsoft product and we can complain all we want about MS. I'm not sticking up for MS, but let's keep focus here. Swx chose to use the WI and that was a mistake.

I mean... 40 minutes to upgrade an admin image from SP2.0 to SP2.1?! At least I was able to do that without having to kick everybody of out Solidworks.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Swartz

I had this interesting dialog elsewhere.

To: snipped-for-privacy@topica.com From: blanked (ME) Subject: RE: [CAD] SP 2.1 Cc:

JAMES,

I WILL HAVE TO DISAGREE.

  1. SW HAD THE TRADITIONAL INSTALLER OPTION AND STILL DOES.

  1. SW DOES NOT HAVE TO RUN ON MICROSOFT WINDOWS. THEY CHOSE TO.

  2. MICROSOFT IS NOT AN ENGINEERING ORIENTED COMPANY. THEY ARE PRIMARILY ORIENTED TOWARDS BUSINESS AND CONSUMER USE.

  1. MICROSOFT'S POSITION IS THAT SW IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION AND PROBLEMS THAT OCCUR WITH SW RUNNING ON THEIR OS.

  2. MICROSOFT HOPEFULLY DOES NOT REQUIRE SW TO PRODUCE SOFTWARE THAT TAKES THIS LONG TO LOAD.

  1. SW HAD TO KNOW ABOUT THIS PROBLEM BEFORE RELEASING 2004 AND COULD HAVE DELAYED RELEASE UNTIL A SOLUTION WAS FOUND.

  2. WI INSTALLER AND OTHER ISSUES WITH 2004 CREATE A NEGATIVE ROI FOR THE END USER. SEE MY POST ON COMP.CAD.SOLIDWORKS.

At 10:48 AM 1/30/2004, you wrote: Everyone thinks that this is SolidWorks doing, but is does not all fall on their shoulders. Part of being Microsoft certified is that the compliant software use the Windows Installer. I can see that SolidWorks development will fix this or find a real cool work around. SolidWorks always strives to put out the best and fix other peoples problems. Does everyone remember the zoom/z-clipping issue that Windows 98/ME had, SolidWorks wrote software to fix that. When companies ran out to buy video card based on price and not quality (no hardware OpenGL), SolidWorks wrote software to bypass the hardware and use software OpenGL.

About Piracy, back in the day SolidWorks did lock the seats serial number to the computer ID and that lasted to the first SP of that version. It made it too cumbersome to move to a new computer or if you had to re-format your hard drive. The community complained and SolidWorks listened.

Last SP you only had to use just CD 1 now you have to use CD 1 and CD

3, the reason for this is because of the bug fix for the PDF writer. The WI utilizes information from the original install files to fix (rewrite) the corrupted files.

Everyone is justified in their concerns on the long load times, I too am concerned. However, I know that SolidWorks will do everything within its power to right this issue, it is only a matter of time. I know that SolidWorks has ALWAYS done right by it's community. This is a new step, using WI, and they just need the time to get the kinks out.

James O.

It's documented in the Solidworks windows installer guide. Shows you how to do it from a command line. "AddLocal" "AddSource"

Reply to
Jason Capriotti