Transparent Plastic... AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

How appropriate I should be posting this on halloween... The only thing more frustrating sometimes than dealing with issues within solidworks is trying to find the really "good" settings for transparent plastic renderings.

I know this has been posted on many times before but exact settings are scarce and most posts seem to be very old. Does anyone have anything that they can share file wise with the settings they've used or can post any recent tutorials for getting really good results on this issue? I know photoworks 2007 has been improved dramatically since the days of 2000 and 2001 when I used to use it most.

any "exact" help or walkthrough with be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks, Don

Reply to
dvanzile3

First, what version are you currently running?

Second, please show an example, a image or link to a picture on web, so we can understand what type of plastic look you wanting.

Otherwise, it's a difficult question because it goes beyond just the material settings, you have to consider the scene settings as well.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Hey Paul, thanks for your response. I've always been a fan of your work.

I don't have a link right now but I'll try to have one tomorrow for you. The best I can do right now is tell you what I'm after is what you would find with any of those "hard to open" thin plastic wrapped packages you would find with new products such as electric mp3 players or almost anything really.

I know this is somewhat vague but hopefully it gives you a better idea of what I need.

And I'm also running 2007 as well but have 2006 available if need be.

Thanks a lot!! I'll try to have a pic tomorrow if needed. Don

Reply to
dvanzile3

Hey Don,

Ok, a blister package?

See if this is what you want..

*.p2m file into your /Customs subdirectory)

.. and, thanks for the nice comments,.. 8^)

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Hi Paul,

Here's the best part. I"ve tried to use the material you made 3 times and everytime SolidWorks locks. I have to control/alt/delete and kill it off. I thought they had the material hang issue fixed? :)

I'm on SW 2007 SP 1.0

Rob

Paul Salvador wrote:

Reply to
Rock Guy

Hey Rob,

Sorry to hear that. SW Corp has really botched this release, imho! SW2006 is bad enough but I've completely removed SW2007 because I've had way too many problems with it.

Anyhow, IIRC, Mark Biasotti posting something on the SW NG that he was able to submit a error report (crashing due to paths/links, problems in handling them,..what a joke!) to the developer? Hopefully, but I doubt very much it will be fixed soon, the developer can fix what they broke?

Rant: I personally believe SW Corp management abilities (lack of) to address and resolve problems are so far out of sync, i.e. they are so f#^%!& up, they will NEVER recover. It's typical of companies with a short sited vision, that is, SolidWorks was NEVER intended to be or do what it is doing today, it has become a patched-up half-baked attempt at being something PTC can do and what AutoDe$k wishes they could, that is, it should be called, "SomethingsWork".

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

LOL. I have to hand it to you Paul. No one rants better than you :)

Paul Salvador wrote:

Reply to
Rock Guy

Yup.... I'm looking to do a blister pack myself and that is exactly what I'm looking for!

And too bad this file makes my solidwork 07 go down for the count as well. Paul... are you teasing us with your photoworks expertise by sending me a corrupt file??? ; )

Is this file for 07 or made from 06? Would by chance be able to send another or walk me through the settings individually?

Also, I know the room lighting plays a big role in results. Do you have any recommendations for the best results besides just the material settings?

Perhaps another reference file that will make my system crash again? ; ) (I hope SW is taking this stuff serious because I sure can't anymore)

Thanks again. Don

Reply to
dvanzile3

Since Pauls materials didn't upload correctly: BTW - He might add his own insight into the numbers below (everyone tweaks their own). But at least the following will get you into the game.

Select any material to start

Edit material

Under Illumination for material, select a material type=glass (or any others that allow access to specular, roughness, reflectivity, and index of refraction)

Set 'specular' all the way up (judgment call, but this has been the best in my experience. This drives how bright the highlight is, which is pretty darn bright on clear plastic)

Set 'Roughness' to 0.06 (a judgment call, but the higher the number, the wider the spread of the highlights. 0.06 is my default for the fairly sharp highlight typical of polished plastic)

'Reflectivity' - set it somewhere in the low-middle range to start and adjust to your preference

'Index of refraction' - set to 1.0 for starters unless you are a super-scientist and know the index of refraction for your material. The higher the number, the larger the offset you will see of the stuff inside the clamshell (think about the shifted position of the fish when you see fish inside a fishbowl). From an artistic standpoint, no offset is probably desirable - that's what I see as a target in professional product photography.

'Transmission' - set to 0.9 or higher (judgment call - I usually go 0.95-0.99)

  • Important * to make your material clear, set your material color to white, or really, really close to white if you want a tint.

Save the material.

Final important item: The reason that clear plastics look like they do in the store has nothing to do with lighting and transparency/transmission, it's because they reflect the stuff around themselves in the store. That is why the reflectivity of the material is important (and needs tweaking). But in order to give it something to reflect, you either need to build a scene in SWx (unnecessary pain in the ass) or use one of SWx reflective environments or make your own. For the easiest route to those reflections, use the 'scene editor' and choose a reflective environment, which is made up of a 360deg photo that will reflect off of your clear plastic.

Do I even have to mention that you have to set document properties-document properties- number of refractions above at least two in order to see the stuff on the inside of the package?

Hope this helps, Ed

Reply to
ed1701

Don,

Here are the settings,...

That *.p2m file shouldn't be corrupt, it was created in SW2006sp5, as was stated above, I removed SW2007 so I could not test (why should I/we have too test it?) the *.p2m file so, it should work in SW2006sp5?

SW Corp takes things seriously when it effects their market image or their bo$$om line.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Very nice! Thanks for this info Ed and Paul.

This will keep me busy for a while.

Don

Reply to
dvanzile3