VB program to show Parent/child tree

Hi,

I remember seeing Catia operators reviewing some sort of tree that showed all of the parent child relationships in a model.

By reviewing the tree, they could easily see how features were related, and whether the integrity of the model was heavily dependent on some key features that, if removed, would cause all sorts of problems.

Is anybody able to write some basic program to analyse the parent child relationships in a Solidworks model and display them as a tree. Even something as basic as this, using ASCII characters:

Extrude31 | |--CutExtrude1--Sweep4 | CutExtrude1

Just a thought...

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Honeyfield

kellnerp

You're lucky. I'm just working on

a set of tools that build features GRAPHS, and much more... It's free, unfinished, so it has no real installer yet, you must follow the instructions to get all the parts working together. Tell me what you think.

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Thanks Philippe,

This looks awesome! I will give it a go.

How does it draw the lines between features on the pseudo 'feature tree'?

Is there any way to make the tree look more uniform, like a subway map?

Regards,

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Honeyfield

It currently takes all the "parent / child" relationships from SW. I'm considering:

1) add external references 2) remove the "transitive" relations, for example if A->B->C and A-C then delete A->C it would simplify the graph, but could be misleading, especially to track errors

Can do many things. see

and tell me which one you like most. But you should consider that dependency graphs differs from "subway maps":

1) they are oriented. There is a parent and a child, so top-down (like the FMT) or left-right ordering is logical 2) there is no "center", no clear "star structure" that could be exploited 3) there is no "distance" between nodes...

Yeah, and tell me about bugs and suggestions, it's "in progress" work...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

I downloaded the macro from your site and ran it with a part active. It seems that nothing happens. I can find no generated files in the directory in which the part resides or in the directory in which the macro resides.

Is there more to it than running the macro? Could it be entering the macro at the wrong spot and thus not generating the files.

This looks like a very interesting project and I'd like to see how it works.

MHill

Reply to
MHill

It takes more than the macro. When I did it, I found a list on the CADml site labeled "Files". You'll need all the stuff there. Since I've already forgotten everything I did to get it working, I'll tell you what I have in my CADml folder: graphvis-1.10.exe (downloaded from the project website); msxsl.exe (downloaded from MicroSoft), WriteCadML.swp (from CADmlsite)

I did a lot of reading here and there to figure out how to get it working. Like it says on the site: it's not easy to get it working (yet).

Reply to
Dale Dunn

ok you're right, it's time for a real installer..

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Ahhh! Thank you for the hint, Philippe! Awesome graphics library! I thought I had already seen everything cool.

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo