VB6 or VB.net for newbie programmer

Hello all programmers,

I have two colleges getting ready to take a programming course. At our business, we have several programs in VB6. These programs will need maintenance and/or upgrading as time goes forward. Hence the need for their tutalage.

So is VB6 the type of class for Solidworks interfacing or VB.net. Please give a simple reason for your choice.

I read that VB6 cannot be directly converted to VB.net. Will the advantages of VB.net (whatever they are) outway the reprogramming of our current stuff.

Your help is appreciated.

Ron W.

Reply to
rwaligora

VB6 is showing it's age, it will not be supported after, I think it was

2007. It works. No you can not directly run 6 code from VB.net like could be done from 3,4,5.... to 6. but there is an import wizard.. that helps. Have done one program that took only a few days to 'fix up'..

Have not got to try .net on Solidworks yet, but soon.. will be upgrading one maybe two apps at work.

Out way? Only when VB 6 won't run on Windose... never happen with luck.. There are a LOT more 'toys' to play with in .net.. programming a machine user interface soon with .net and Parker controls...AHHHH

Reply to
St

Currently macros are in VBA, which is nearly identical to VB6 minus some licenses to use certain objects.

Take the VB6 course if you need to maintain or convert macros. I think transitioning programs up to VB.NET from VB6 will go easier for you if you already know VB6.

Also, you will get mportant experience with object oriented programm> Hello all programmers,

Reply to
That70sTick