Who is using Softquadro for late version GeForce?

Time to upgrade my home system. Since I'm on a budget (and a diet, too) I really can't spring for a Quadro card, as much as I would like one. I'm wondering what kind of results people have been having hacking the drivers for late-model GeForce cards? Anyone hacked the FX series? If so, which? Anyone have a dual-head hacked?

TIA 'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Time to upgrade my home system. Since I'm on a budget (and a diet, too) I really can't spring for a Quadro card, as much as I would like one. I'm wondering what kind of results people have been having hacking the drivers for late-model GeForce cards? Anyone hacked the FX series? If so, which? Anyone have a dual-head hacked?

TIA 'Sporky'

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Hello Sporkman- Here's a Quadro 380 XGL for under $200.00:

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

---------------------------------------- Hey, thanks Devon. I'll certainly consider that!!

Reply to
Sporkman

If you are looking for the best price link, go to...

searching: Quadro XGL (~$165 for the 380)

Most of the low prices are at:

To answer the question though, I would think the FX series can be tweaked.

Personally, I only run the softquadro.exe *.rts patch on the *.sys to drivers which are supported and I do not use the rivatuner but it may be needed for FX series?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Thank you for the extreme education, Mikey. Maybe once I get into the hack I'll actually make sense out of it . . . but I'm sure others will benefit better in the meantime. I hope someone will post indicating they're actually hacking an FX5600 (or similar) successfully. BTW, anyone know which of these cards are dual-head? Specs don't seem to ever mention it, although I know they mostly have a digital (DVI) connector and an analog one (doesn't necessarily mean you can use both of 'em at the same time).

How's it goin' out there in sunny Californy? Surf up?

'Sporky'

---------------------------------- "Mike J. Wils>

Reply to
Sporkman

Hacked Geforce4 here (7 seats), and W2k sees them as Quadro 500/550 XGL. They work beautifully. No slowdown when multiple windows. The performance is good: no shaky movement. I would recommend this setting to anyone as far as stability and usability.

No experience on Fx though

HIH

JM

"Sporkman" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfootYETI.com...

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

I dont think it will be possible unless RT gets an update.

cuz the FX series run on drivers that are very new and RT doesnt handle it well

Dom

Sporkman wrote:

Reply to
Flipper

Yeah Dude, it's toootally gnarly! Heh, but seriously though, I went the other day and boy was it nice. I was so sore the next day from swimming I could hardly walk.

I kind of have a new appreciation for this state.. especially now that Arnold Schwarzenegger is our new Governor. Oops, you guys aren't supposed to know that yet.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

I read over at guru3d.com that Unwinder(riva tuner creater) is currently working on a new version of RivaTuner for the FX series of cards.

If he can get it working I am looking forward to getting a 256MB FX5600 for around $150:-D

Reply to
]{ilr]3

Are you sure that the "NVStrap" is not needed. I tried to follow your steps, but I still don't see the "Unified Back Depth Buffer setting". Can you be more specific? Or maybe check whether you don't run the "NVStrap" somehow.

Reply to
Baruch

Yep, softquadro alone has always worked fine.

Nvstrap is most likely tricking the online resident Nvidia support dll's? That is, without the nvstrap, the Nvidia dll support may not recognize the card?

If you are into Nvidia support tweaks or gaming and softquadro alone does not give you enough of the latest tweak stuff, then you need to be nvstrapped to your chair.

.. ;^)

Reply to
Paul Salvador

First of all Mike and Paul thanks for your help, Mike I follow again the "SoftQuadro HowTo" guide and they mention that the "SoftQuadro" patch is for Geforce4 only and on "DetonatorXP Install Guide" mentioned that for GeForce 1/2/3 it is needed to install "NVStrap driver", I mention all this because I have like Paul a "GeForce2 GTS" card. But then as I mention I see that Paul could manage somehow with this. Paul and Mike, did you made something else then applying the "SoftQuadro" patch, I mean mybe applying the "NVStrap" patch (without installing the driver), or enabling something else in the "Riva Tuner" before you uninstall it. Paul I see also at "Custom OpenGl Apll. ?" combo-box that you have "SolidWorks" label, how? And a last question is which operating system you have (me WinXp Pro), and again thanks a lot.

Reply to
Baruch

I used SoftQuadro4 on my 128MB Geforce4 MX 440 and it is now recognized as a Quadro 550 XGL in my Window XP Pro home system. I am still having some stability problems though. I tried using detonator driver version 43.51 and after a few minutes in SolidWorks the display would flicker off and back on again repeatedly. I then tried using 42.51 and it appears to be more stable, but it the computer hangs if "Stand by" mode is used. It is also not XP certified, but 43.51 was and it also hung in stand by mode.

What version detonator driver are you using? Can you use stand by mode?

--Mark

Reply to
Mark Reimer

Jean Marc BRUN a écrit:

Following this hint, today, I installed a MSI GeForce4 MX440 64MB with RivaTuner found at

and driver 40.72 from the same place under WinXP Pro SP1 (PIII on BX440 machine) - which is now included in the device manager's list as 'NVIDIA Quadro4 500/550XGL' (so the device manager couldn't decide whether 500 or 550?)

Roy

Reply to
Roy Coorne

Mike Dennis a écrit:

Urban legend?

Roy

Reply to
Roy Coorne

You may have a firewall, but like most out there, it's probably not properly configured. A properly configured 'wall will not permit a download from that site. Hence, this quote right from their download page...

"Problems downloading ? - When installed please turn off your firewall and or mass-downloading software. "

Some surveys suggest less than 50% of hardware firewalls are properly configured, and less than 10% of software ones are. I'm not sure what your "urban legend" remark means, but hey, it's your system. I'm merely suggesting you might want to be a little more cautious in your recommendations to others here. Most people here can't afford to have their systems trashed.

Reply to
Mike Dennis

Knock knock... Who's there? Iatollah... Iatollah who? Iatollah you so!

..talktothehand..

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson