You know you are getting old when...

The hourglass goes away on a drawing and you can't remember what you were doing before the rebuild started.

You have to take notes before a rebuild to remind yourself what you were doing when you hit CRTL Q.

Reply to
TOP

true, so true

thanks for reminding me of my 50th birthday last week

peace, Diego

T> The hourglass goes away on a drawing and you can't remember what you

Reply to
Diego

Is it a bad sign that I'm encountering this in my mid 30's?

Diego wrote:

Reply to
fcsuper

So thats what the new tablets are for with the 2007 upgrades

A bad sign of what....

Bo

fcsuper wrote:

Reply to
Bo

And to think that I thought 2007 wasn't ready for big time.

Today was a good example of why I forget what I was doing. In a drawing I moved a section view, got the hourglass, shuffled some papers, took them up to the mezzanine for filing, unpacked two new computers, carried a box of old drawings to the dumpster, then went back to my desk to wait some more for the hour glass. Now if I could just remember what it was I was going to do after moving the section view.

Reply to
TOP

Thanks for the humor. Look to SW 2008 marketing to resolve these issues! And I suspect we will all be just a bit slower by then.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

I have ran across a design issue. Our company makes cement mixers. I want to model the flights so they can be flat pattered. The issue is the section of the internal screw has a "J" bend nested on an several arc segments. The "J" bends speed mixing of the slurry. Also there are "J" bends on the discharge side to speed the exit of material. I can make the flight as a solid model but when I try to make it into sheet metal it gives me an error it can't be made. Is there any sites who works with screws in SW? This is a simple concept a screw in a drum but complex to make because of the tapered cone used for the discharging the slurry.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The guys who are experts in developed surfaces from flat plate are the designers who do boat and ship hull design.

There are a few people in this group who have noted they are in yacht design and maybe one of them could address this if you post it in a separate new topic.

Bo

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Bo

Humor indeed makes us think a bit more about the "real" situation.

I really do not know whether I am going to put 2007 on my desktop yet.

Other things have a priority, and they cost a lot more than the SWKs maintenance $s, so I may just have to see what works with 2006 for quite awhile longer, and then maybe indeed, it will by 2008 by then.

Bo

Kman wrote:

Reply to
Bo

There's a way to flatten an auger helix just using sketch relations and some simple equations. I wrote an article in the Solid Solutions magazine probably 8 years ago that showed how to do this in SolidWorks. It can also be done using the Lofted Bends in SW sheet metal. In order to use the lofted bends, you need to make the inner and outer helix curves, open a 3D sketch and convert the curves into the sketch, then make the lofted bend. I have examples on my website, but that is down at the moment.

As for the Js, I'm not visualizing where they go. Could you direct me to an image somewhere that shows this?

The sheet metal method you're trying won't work, as you've already noticed.

Reply to
matt

Humor??? I wish it was. Wait a minute. What were we discussing anyway?

Reply to
TOP

My bread and butter is helical augers. Can you describe the J-Bend or point me to a picture?

Reply to
TOP

Reply to
Steve

SW 07 can do a flange along a non-straight edge (or so I read). A large bend radius should result in what I think you mean by a J bend. I'm not sure if that would work on the edge of a lofted bend or not. I assume you're using lofted bends for the flights.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

We have 07 but its not installed,,, I start bitching so 07 will do a flange along a non-straight edge?

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

Apparently mixers!

Kman

Reply to
Kman

That's what the what's new guide says. I haven't monkeyed with it, so I don't knwo what the limitations are. Maybe your VAR or someone else can try for you?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

It will do a flange on a curved edge, but the curve looks like it has to be on a flat face (other than the thickness), so you couldn't pull a flange off of a shape like the top of a mailbox, but you could use a flange to make the top of the mailbox if you start from the end of the mailbox, if that makes any sense.

Reply to
matt

Is this thread showing up hijacked on other newsreaders besides Google?

Reply to
TOP