Zero mass part?

Hi All,

I sometimes like to have duplicate parts laid in the assembly as semi transparent to show alternate positions etc. Sometimes preferred to different configurations of the assembly.

However, as I need to keep a close eye on overall mass, I don't want these additional parts to be counted. Without saving duplicate copies of the relevant parts and setting their mass to zero is there any way of setting certain parts in the assembly as having no contributing mass?

I hope my explanation was clear!

Thanks for all feedback.

Flynt

Reply to
Flynt

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Trouble is the assemblies can have a lot of parts and I don't really want to go hiding parts as it defeats the object of me showing them in the first place. It's also easy to miss something.

Flynt

Not sure, but could you just ctrl select all the parts you want hidden, and create a new configuration so when you want to hide them, all you have to do is change configurations?

Reply to
tnik

Configurations woould be the trick, make new config and assign mass to zero

// Krister

Reply to
Krister_L

I use envelope components for this. Example: linear actuator assemblies with a sliding component, if I need additional "sliders", I put them in as envelope components, and they don't affect mass properties or BOM.

Reply to
That70sTick

Thanks to all contributors. However, this is EXACTLY what I wanted!! Thanks Tick.

With luck others will learn from this because if you are anything like me I recon I use about 50% of SWX capabilities and functions! I learn something new every week. And I've only been using SWX for 9 years!!

Flint

Reply to
Flynt

It's a shame it only works for components, not assemblies, but you can't have everything!

Flynt

For dealing with sub-assemblies, you can save the assembly as a part file, then use insert envelope.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Thanks Eddie - obvious in hindsight!

By the way everyone, given that I said I was learning all the time of SolidWorks more obscure features, did anyone else learn from this? Will it be useful to you?

Flynt

This is precisely what envelope parts are for.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Ah, but you have to know it to use it! :-)

I'm just grateful that having asked on this forum I now know it. Maybe others know it too now.

Flynt

Reply to
Flynt