1:87 Model town

I have built a 1:87 model town. At night the town is lit up with lights from houses, buildings, trains, traffic and car lights etc. I have built up the town using cardboard, foil, clay,fibreoptic cable, micro globes, anything I could find lying around. Junction points are operated by way of levers, springs and gut line. A few coaches I built from scratch. To make the wheel carriages I used fibreglass resin with plasticine as a mould.

I have used no bought plastic model kits nor materials from a model shop and believe this makes the scene more realistic. I have photos which are accessible at Fotango / Public Gallery/ Hobbies/ Model Railroads. My collection title is: Model town.

Is there any one there who can share ideas?

Reply to
Barry Derbyshire

Very impressive.

The URL is:

Click on "Model Town".

Reply to
Ken Rice

Barry=A0Derbyshire wrote: I have built a 1:87 model town. At night the town is lit up with lights from houses, buildings, trains, traffic and car lights etc. I have built up the town using cardboard, foil, clay,fibreoptic cable, micro globes,

*** ------------------------------------------------ Outstanding work, Barry. I had to look at the aerial scene to prove to myself that these were models and not real scenes. Thanks for sharing.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

Bill

Thanks Barry,

Your magnificent model town is a real inspiration. I have found that that the town and the scenery are the best part of having a model train layout.

Best Regards,

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Very nice work from my point of view. I *thought* it looked a bit South African, and I thought some of the carriages looked like SAR so I checked your headers to confirm and see that it is so. I mention this because I intend to start a layout in the future, also with emphasis on scenery etc and also intend to model SAR on half of it, so I might lift a few ideas from you, although at the moment I am only collecting rolling stock and scenic material etc in preparation for the layout, so can't yet provide much experience of my own.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor

Ivor, You are not supposed to "collect" scenic material. Use Pratley putty to model tree trunks, moss to design the foliage and touch up with paint for colored flowers etc. Seriously though, good luck - I'm more than happy to explain how I created the various items.

Reply to
Barry

Hi Barry,

I have been doing some experimenting and practicing over the months, specifically with trees and rockfaces. My treetrunk method is twisted wire covered in a woodglue/patching plaster/water/colouring mix which works quite well but I am having trouble with making effective (realistic looking) foliage for them and I have tried some of the Woodland scenics materials (which appear quite good) so it must be lack of technique. I have tried some moss found locally which does look good but only for certain types of tree and I'm not sure of its durability, but I'll continue experimenting.

Have you worked out a method of making corrugated iron ( not IBR but the regular old fashioned roofing stuff) ?

Reply to
Ivor

Reply to
Barry