2x4 Layout

I'm planning on putting together a 2x4 layout in N scale. The track plan has several gentle grades so I think it's going to have to be wood. I was going to build an L girder table for it but now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't bother since it's so small. Maybe I should just build a 2x4 butt joint frame and put it on a folding table? This would make it more portable (and I may be moving in a few years) but it doesn't leave anywhere to put the controllers or power packs. And it would be lower than eye level. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with building so small a layout?

Reply to
Iarwain

I visited a club in Bracebridge on Wednesday (actually joined it too).

They have an N Scale layout that they take to shows, it is made of 2'x4' modules, they have 2x4 butt joint frames, the legs are round and just slide into brackets. When moving, two guys pick up the table and the legs fall out. The layout has 8 modules, 4 straight and two angled at each end. The layout is run from the center. It all fits into one Van for moving

Reply to
wannand

Before going this route, think about access for wiring, etc. If you put it on a solid table, access will be difficult when (not if) you have a wiring problem or want to add something.

And never underestimate the value of dedicated, under the layout storage space.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

=>I'm planning on putting together a 2x4 layout in N scale. The track =>plan has several gentle grades so I think it's going to have to be =>wood. I was going to build an L girder table for it but now I'm =>thinking maybe I shouldn't bother since it's so small. Maybe I should =>just build a 2x4 butt joint frame and put it on a folding table? This =>would make it more portable (and I may be moving in a few years) but =>it doesn't leave anywhere to put the controllers or power packs. And =>it would be lower than eye level. Anyone have any suggestions or =>experience with building so small a layout?

You could build a shelving unit/cupboard to go under it - extra storage, especially concealed storage, is awlays welcome. Build it high enough to bring it your eye-level, either seated (around 42") or standing (around

60"). You'll need access to the underside for wiring, etc, so just put the layout on top without fastening it down.

I would add a few inches to the width, so as to accommodate 11" curves without getting to close to the edge. 11" radius is pretty tight in N, only a little better than the 9" sectional track radius.

HTH&HF

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

You might want to check out the Small Layout Design e-mail discussion group over on YahooGroups. Lots of good ideas there.

Garth in Ottawa.

Reply to
allergy

On 9 Jan 2004 03:30:16 -0800, iarwain snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Iarwain) excreted:

I built one lots of years ago when we were still in an apartment. I used plywood and 1X4's for the box frame. But today, I probably would go with insulation boards. I kept it under the bed when not in use. In use, it was on the kitchen table.

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department ___________________________________ email:

Tug McGraw: when asked what he would do with his World Series bonus money, he replied, " I'm gonna spend 80% on booze and women and the rest I'm gonna waste."

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading? A: Telling your parents you?re gay.

spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov

Reply to
Ken [NY)

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:13:59 -0500, "allergy" excreted:

Thanks for that suggestion. I joined yesterday.

Ken (NY) Chairman, Department Of Redundancy Department ___________________________________ email:

Tug McGraw: when asked what he would do with his World Series bonus money, he replied, " I'm gonna spend 80% on booze and women and the rest I'm gonna waste."

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading? A: Telling your parents you?re gay.

spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov

Reply to
Ken [NY)

Just glue some styrofoam insulation on top of a simple 2x2 frame. My shelf is 2'x14' and that's how I built it. It's a layout, not a patio deck. :)

You might also want to consider T-Trak

as a small-space, modular standard.

Bill

-- Moderator: