A Preiser problem

I have a problem with Preiser/WS figure packs of six. Sometimes six is more than I need/want. For example, I could use one brown bear in my
little wilderness area, but six would have to eat the train crews to survive. I would like a couple of fishermen, but six would outnumber the fish in my small stream. A couple of deer would be nice, but six would overpopulate the layout. You get the idea. Too bad there isn't a place to trade my extra figures for others' extras. Or maybe there is. I have done some trading, but there are not many N-scalers around here.
Yes. I see the problem. Another packaging dilemma sort of like the hotdog and bun thing. I don't know if you can have too many fisherman. For every fish around here it seems like there are a dozen guys out to catch him. But if you can't trade your way down to appropriate numbers I think you can get away with just one brown bear. You won't need any dear because the six fisherman scared them away. You won't need any fisherman because the brown bear has run them off. You really don't even need a brown bear if you have one figure in camouflage pants with an assault rife and his dead bear hauling SUV near by. Bruce

LOL! Excellent.
Anybody hunting a bear with an assault rifle is likely to find himself over the bear's mantle.
Brian Smith wrote:

What, you don't think a 5.56mm round can knock down an upset grizzly?
Muhahahahahaha.
First of all, an assault rifle doesn't have to be 5.56mm. In fact the AK-74 fires a 7.62 cartridge, which is not the same as the NATO round, which might be useful against a bear. And no, I wouldn't trust a 5.56 mm against a grizzly, though the bear specified was a brown bear.
autobus snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I wouldn't trust "a" 5.56mm round against a grizzly either. I would use the entire clip.
Hmm. Pure rivet counting here, but an assault rifle fires bullets contained in a magazine. The magazine is often loaded from a clip or stripper clip which holds five or ten rounds. (It's been awhile since I've loaded an M-16 magazine.)
Ken Rice wrote:

Used to be a 20 round magazine that you weren't supposed to put more than 16 rounds in ... IIRC.
Paul

--
Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania
and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information
Paul Newhouse wrote:

You could get 20 in them but, it stressed the aluminum magazine. After a while it wouldn't feed the next round (near the end of the magazine) enough and you had a jam. Usually at an inconvienient moment.

--
Ken Rice wrote:
"I wouldn't trust "a" 5.56mm round against a grizzly either. I would use the entire clip."
Given that there have been cases where .357 magnum slugs have bounced off a bear's skull I wouldn't expect a dozen or two 5.56 rounds to do more than piss off the bear.
Eric
Eric said the following on 7/20/2005 1:35 PM:

Just wait til he opens his mouth to bite your friend. Hit him in a soft spot. ;-)
Kirk

specified was a brown bear.< Years ago I had a discussion with an Alaskan about the best weapon to use against a grizzly. Me knowing nothing about the bear and not being a hunter suggested I would like a 44 mag (probably from the Dirty Harry shows). His comment was, Your dead!
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:40:40 -0700, Jon Miller wrote:

Ma Deuce!
--
Steve

G.M. wrote:
"First of all, an assault rifle doesn't have to be 5.56mm. In fact the AK-74 fires a 7.62 cartridge, which is not the same as the NATO round, which might be useful against a bear."
No it doesn't. The AK-47 uses a 7.62x39 mm cartridge. The AK-74 uses a 5.45 x39mm cartridge.
http://www.sovietarmy.com/small_arms/ak-74.html http://izhmash.udm.ru//ak74.html
Eric
Yep, you are right. In any event, my point is that "assault rifle" is a nomenclature, like "flat car." Just like all flat cars don't have to be 40 feet long, an assault rifle doesn't have t be 5.56mm. In any event, the Soviet 7.62 mm assault rifle cartridge is nothing like the 7.62mm NATO.
Eric wrote:

AKM is the later soviet rifle. Fires 7.62 semi automatic or automatic 30 rounds. Sniper rifle is SDV. dragunov 10 rounds. This is adaptable to APC and command car mounts.
Same AMMO (&.62) in belts and clips fits various light, heavy and combo with tripod or bipod mounts and modified mounts. The heavy has a longer barrel and a 1000 meter range. It also fires 250 rpm (the entire round belt in a minute). Bear gets snack faster if it can run with 250 rounds in skull....It weighs 60 pounds, Rambo.
Reference FM 30-40 Jim Stewart
Jim Stewart wrote:
"AKM is the later soviet rifle. Fires 7.62 semi automatic or automatic 30 rounds."
The AKM is a cheaper redesigned version of the AK-47 with the stamped sheet metal versus the original's machined forgings. Also a plastic magazine and a laminated versus solid wood stocks. They're both 7.62 x 39 mm.
The AK[S]-74 is the later family of soviet assault rifles. They use a 5.45 x 39 mm carttridge.
"Sniper rifle is SDV. dragunov 10 rounds. This is adaptable to APC and command car mounts. Same AMMO (&.62) in belts and clips fits various light, heavy and combo with tripod or bipod mounts and modified mounts. The heavy has a longer barrel and a 1000 meter range. It also fires 250 rpm (the entire round belt in a minute). Bear gets snack faster if it can run with 250 rounds in skull....It weighs 60 pounds, Rambo. "
The Draganov uses the 7.62 x 54R. It's rimmed cartidge unlike the rimmless AK(S)-47/AKM(S) It uses a magazine not a belt. It is not adaptable to vehicle mounts.
The PK, PKS, PKB, PKT and PKM family of soviet belt feed medium machine guns are the ones that operate off vehicles. The only thing it has in common with the Dragunov is the 7.62 x 54R cartridge.
Eric
Eric, I think that Jim snipped something as the SDV is not a machine gun, as you mention, which the rest of the paragraph describes. BTW, the Browning .50 machine gun has been used as a sniper rifle when fired on semi-automatic.