A Preiser problem

Ma Deuce!

Reply to
Steve Caple

In the Feb-Apr 1986 issues of Model Railroader, MR did a project layout featuring the Western Pacific in Z Scale. Do any of you know where this layout is at this time?

thanks

David Epling FRRS/PRM Webmaster Portola Railroad Museum

David Epling

Any url to it - I just looked and couldn't find anything.

Edvardo

Reply to
Edvardo

Edvardo said the following on 7/19/2005 1:33 PM:

I have the Adam & Eve set from Preiser. Many positions can be achieved. A small scene and a miniature version of the Kama Sutra. There is also the nude sunbathers. They're going next to my lake with some peeping Toms nearby.

Kirk

Reply to
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

Reply to
G.M.

Used to be a 20 round magazine that you weren't supposed to put more than 16 rounds in ... IIRC.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Reply to
G.M.

"First of all, an assault rifle doesn't have to be 5.56mm. In fact the AK-74 fires a 7.62 cartridge, which is not the same as the NATO round, which might be useful against a bear."

No it doesn't. The AK-47 uses a 7.62x39 mm cartridge. The AK-74 uses a

5.45 x39mm cartridge.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

"I wouldn't trust "a" 5.56mm round against a grizzly either. I would use the entire clip."

Given that there have been cases where .357 magnum slugs have bounced off a bear's skull I wouldn't expect a dozen or two 5.56 rounds to do more than piss off the bear.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

"I would like a couple of fishermen, but six would outnumber the fish in my small stream."

Have you ever seen those opening day human interest reports on the local news pieces where the fishermen are literally shoulder to sholder in the river?

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Yep, you are right. In any event, my point is that "assault rifle" is a nomenclature, like "flat car." Just like all flat cars don't have to be

40 feet l> G.M. wrote:
Reply to
G.M.

You could get 20 >> >>

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

AKM is the later soviet rifle. Fires 7.62 semi automatic or automatic 30 rounds. Sniper rifle is SDV. dragunov 10 rounds. This is adaptable to APC and command car mounts.

Same AMMO (&.62) in belts and clips fits various light, heavy and combo with tripod or bipod mounts and modified mounts. The heavy has a longer barrel and a 1000 meter range. It also fires 250 rpm (the entire round belt in a minute). Bear gets snack faster if it can run with 250 rounds in skull....It weighs 60 pounds, Rambo.

Reference FM 30-40 Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

So what is the scale caliber? 0.00762?

Reply to
video guy - www.locoworks.com

My calculations show a 06 would be .0035" in H-0. Roger Aultman

video guy -

wrote:

Reply to
Roger Aultman

Reminds me of typos/ignorance marks in several mysteries/thrillers I've read that refer to things like a ".9 mm automatic" or a ".20 mm cannon" - obviously some doofus who thought that if it's .38 caliber or .50 caliber, it must be .9 mm or .20 mm

Still out of scale for HO, though . . .

Reply to
Steve Caple

"Reminds me of typos/ignorance marks in several mysteries/thrillers I've read that refer to things like a ".9 mm automatic" or a ".20 mm cannon" - obviously some doofus who thought that if it's .38 caliber or .50 caliber, it must be .9 mm or .20 mm"

I've actually come across serious news articles which have done this. It's always fun sending them an e-mail to tell them how clueless they are.

It's almost as much fun as correcting the news people who have refered to British intelligence as M sixteen. ;-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

"AKM is the later soviet rifle. Fires 7.62 semi automatic or automatic

30 rounds."

The AKM is a cheaper redesigned version of the AK-47 with the stamped sheet metal versus the original's machined forgings. Also a plastic magazine and a laminated versus solid wood stocks. They're both 7.62 x

39 mm.

The AK[S]-74 is the later family of soviet assault rifles. They use a

5.45 x 39 mm carttridge.

"Sniper rifle is SDV. dragunov 10 rounds. This is adaptable to APC and command car mounts. Same AMMO (&.62) in belts and clips fits various light, heavy and combo with tripod or bipod mounts and modified mounts. The heavy has a longer barrel and a 1000 meter range. It also fires 250 rpm (the entire round belt in a minute). Bear gets snack faster if it can run with 250 rounds in skull....It weighs 60 pounds, Rambo. "

The Draganov uses the 7.62 x 54R. It's rimmed cartidge unlike the rimmless AK(S)-47/AKM(S) It uses a magazine not a belt. It is not adaptable to vehicle mounts.

The PK, PKS, PKB, PKT and PKM family of soviet belt feed medium machine guns are the ones that operate off vehicles. The only thing it has in common with the Dragunov is the 7.62 x 54R cartridge.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
G.M.

I agree.

But it's important to correct fallacies. Think of how many years people believed the 'if it doesn't have dynamic brakes it's a GP7 if it does, it's a GP9' thing.

Well if you don't know any better, if it runs on tracks it's a tank. Remember in WWII every tank was a Tiger and all artillery were 88s.

A 1/48 scale SPH? If one had an O scale layout and were modeling the right era they would make interesting loads.

I always get annoyed when some idiot gets on the news and refers to an military plane as a fighter jet. Especially if they are standing in front of an A-10. They sound like a ten year old. By no one ever accused the press of being smart, particularly the broadcast contingent.

Eric

G.M. wrote:

"Maybe heading this back towards modeling of some sort, back when I was a kid, Aurora came out with a 1/48th model of a U.S. Army "howitzer tank"

which was a model of a self-propelled howizer, perhaps the early M-109 or M-108. I really can't remember. I'm here to tell you that a self-propelled howitzer is not a tank."

Reply to
Eric