An eBay listing practice I've never understood

I don't get the wisdom of the listings with a razor-thin difference between the starting bid and the Buy-it-Now price. As an example, here's a Marklin locomotive and
tender: http://xrl.us/MarklinLocomotive
Starting bid is $1,249.99 with a Buy-it-Now of $1,274.99 (?!)
Is this supposed to be an incentive to Buy-it-Now? If it is, it's pretty crude.
|I don't get the wisdom of the listings with a razor-thin | difference between the starting bid and the Buy-it-Now | price. As an example, here's a Marklin locomotive and | tender: http://xrl.us/MarklinLocomotive | | Starting bid is $1,249.99 with a Buy-it-Now of $1,274.99 | (?!) | | Is this supposed to be an incentive to Buy-it-Now? If it | is, it's pretty crude. |
AFAICR there are different rate structures for auction items, whether they include B-I-N or not, and listings that are strictly sales. Norm

Thanks for the info, it's something I've always wondered about myself.
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:06:44 -0600 (MDT), Ned

I have a hard time figuring that, also. But when you combine bidding and Buy-it-now, if someone bids on the item, the Buy-it-now goes away. I think. So if you put the starting bid high, you still get close to what you want for the item with the possibility of it going higher than your asking price. Got that? Good! Now you can explain it to me.
--
The seabat
Filtering GoogleGroups & Goobers with extreme prejudice!

Yes, that's it!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/buy-it-now.html
Thank you!
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:34:29 -0600 (MDT), Ned

There's one more reason for the practice. Some sellers have eBay Stores where they sell items at a fixed price. When you list with a Buy It Now that is near to the auction start price, you can have an item both in your store and on auction. As soon as there's a bid, the store item is dropped from inventory automatically. Otherwise, the rules don't allow for a store item to be auctioned. -- Ray

Sorry, I described that badly. Fixed price listings in stores with a Buy It Now only tag don't show up in the auction listings at an advantageous location so putting the auction price on is a marketing and exposure tactic for eBay sellers. -- Ray
On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:06:44 -0600, Ned wrote:

A hell of a price for a clockwork (!!) toy.
--
Groet, salut, Wim.

Well, yeah, it's MEGA RARE!!!! :)