Antimated Car Moving on Road

I recently saw where someone had what looked like a clay road bed and had a car moving on the road, traveling in a long oval. Does anyone have an idea of how this is done or what it requires? I am building a small town and this would be great. Thanks for any and all input. Dave

Reply to
magicdave

It can be done with a mechanism below the layout driving a magnet along a track. You need a motor that turns a magnet - a circle is the easiest way to go since you only need to put the magnet on an arm. Then you need a roadway on the layout that is very thin so the magnet can work through it, and a piece of metal in a lightweight car model. It doesn't look good, in my opinion - the car won't turn properly and will probably end up getting dragged sideways down the street. You also have the downside of the thin surface and probably cutting a big slot in your benchwork.

I haven't done it, but I thought a better approach would be to have a wire sticking up through the road surface and mounting the car on that, and hooking the wire to a mechanism below the layout. You have to deal with the fact that there will be a slot for the wire down the street.

My design 'hid' this in plain sight - the car would travel down a main street, then turn a corner and disappear behind the scenery, eventually turning back on to the main street. On the visible street, I had some abandoned tramcar tracks that the wire could run alongside, making the slot visible but a natural part of the scenery.

Now, I have seen other layouts with mov> I recently saw where someone had what looked like a clay road bed and

Reply to
AllenWhite

Hi.

For info about model automobile cars that drive on roads in a model railraod layout, see this:

http://www.m> I recently saw where someone had what looked like a clay road bed and

Reply to
Arnold Morscher

Has some interesting-looking stuff.

Tejas Pedro

"What, me worry? I voted for Kinky!"

Reply to
Random Excess

There is (or was) a system made by a German manufacturer(I believe) for animating cars on a layout. Each car had a self-contained battery and motor. A wire was embedded just beneath the surface of the road, and a magnet under the car would cause it to track along the course of the buried wire. Unfortunately I'm not having much luck in finding any web sites on the system, though I have seen them in the past. Probably not using the correct search terms.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Try this site Rick:

kt0t

Magnet under road with poles aligned parallel to the path so that a magnet in the car oriented in opposite direction holds the car pointed forward? In other words: Magnet in car with North pole at front and under road magnet with South pole in direction of movement. The magnet under the road would have to be mounted so that the back end follows a slightly smaller arc, since that's the way conventional automobiles track through turns.

On the other hand, the car might tend to track pretty well anyway if the steel is mounted in the vicinity of the front wheels.

A route with straights and turns might work if the magnet was attached to a plastic or rubber belt with the appropriate diameter pulleys at the turns. Might even work with brass chain. The trick would be attaching the magnet to the belt in a manner that wouldn't be binding the belt by holding it straight in the bends.

A thin gray styrene road with a sanded surface texture might look good.

Reply to
RobertVA

As a mere tad, taken to Marshall Field's department store in Chicago by my mother, just prior to Christmas, I remember vividly the Lionel factory layout on display in the toy department. It had a four-lane highway running diagonally across the layout. There was a railroad overpass on one end and a tunnel into a mountain on the other end. Cars, trucks, and busses moved briskly along the road.

The road was comprised of two belts, moving in opposite directions, with vehicles fastened to them. It was crude, but effective, for a child of seven.

The Faller stuff looks a lot better.

Reply to
video guy - www.locoworks.com

Reply to
Aceantman-Anthony

Search for Faller, the German building kitset manufacturer.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Yes, that's the one. Thanks.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Yes, that was the one I remember seeing. Now if some of those European cars bodies could be replaced with some Jordan 1920s and 1930s era car bodies...

Reply to
Rick Jones

Hello

You could try looking here

All in german, though I think there is an english language version, look for the union jack flag.

Not sure but th>I recently saw where someone had what looked like a clay road bed and

My Website:

the You Know What to email me!

Reply to
Anthony

Looks like they do still make 'em. Even in N scale!

fl@liner

This tagline has been certified to contain no political rants.

Reply to
fubar

Re

this just a privatly owned model exibition or can you purchase the cars and software? They are fantastic.

Reply to
Ben Vanderlinde

One of the German model makers makes a highway system. I think it might be Brawa. I saw the stuff in a Wather's catalog in a hobby shop about 12 years ago. There are only certain cars and trucks they make for their highway system, and they need to be recharged at regular intervals. They follow a magnitic route built into the road.

Not sure if this is the same system that you are seeing or not.

Reply to
gl4316

The manufacturer is Faller. This year they are bring out a few ordinary cars, a VW Beetle, a Trabbi and (something else) List price is Eu89- These are the first ordinary cars. Previously they have made buses, trucks and the odd delivery van and SUV.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

It is privately owned.