Rope lights for the layout?

Some one suggested back around last Christmas that I could use Rope lights for under the upper level of my layout to light the lower level.
I bought 4 rope light so I could double them. They don't work. the rope lights give off wayyyyy to little light for that purpose. so next time someone suggest using rope lights to light your layout up dont believe them. I'm not p'ed off I'll just chalk it up to experience.
Yea, I did this too about a year ago with a single string.Very dim at the best, however the effect has gown on me over time and looks kind of neat for say an early morning or late evening effect.
-- Phil Anderson Up hill slow, down hill fast, tonnage first, safety last.

We use some rope lights to light up a dispatch panel which is hidden behind an Auto Plant kit. The lights are maybe 6"-10" above the panel. They work great for that purpose in that environment. Please describe your environment. How far are the lights from what you are lighting?
Paul
Rope lights are *not* bright enough for layout lighting, in my experience and opinion. However, they seem quite adequate for lighting lower level staging areas.
"Paul - The CB&Q Guy" Modeling 11960's In HO.

As a professional theatre technician, I can second the above. Rope lights are OK for staging yards but nowhere near bright enough for general layout lighting.
-- Cheers
Roger T.
A friend uses the older style Christmas tree lights unde the valence on his double layer layout. He has strings of all clear bulbs that seem to do the trick. If you can find any, they shouldn't cost too much, especially after the season is over.
Bob Boudreau Canada

Get them while you can Bob. A fellow here uses them & he's concerned because last Christmas there were a lot less conventional lights and a lot more LEDs. A trend that's only going to continue as LED prices drop and Joe average figures out that a string of LEDs will pay for itself in power savings in about one Christmas season in addition to lasting way longer. I sure don't like climbing a ladder to replace burned out bulbs either, another thing less to do with LEDs.
Ed
Mountain Goat wrote:

Of course we could use the LED lights (white) the same way (just may need a few more).
The CB&Q Guy wrote:

On my patio I have a dart board mounted on the wall. I use a rope light snaking back and forth a few times on the stringers just above it and it works fine for lighting.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

The problem with rope lights (IMHO) is that they 'burn out' in 18" sections. At least that was the case with the type I have experience with.                             ---john.