Athearn F7B Dummy Problems

I just home from GATS in Indy and in the loot I had was an Athearn CN F7B Dummy to go with my F7A. After some test runs behind the F7A I tried rolling the B by hand. Its like the wheels would not turn. After fiddling around with the wheels, here is what I found: The inner most set of wheels (closest to fuel tank, farthest from couplers) on both trucks turn very poorly if at all.

Is this a common problem? Is there an easy solution? Answer by email as well as online as I don't want to drag the F7B back downtown to return it.

Reply to
Dana Miller

It sounds like either a truck problem or the wheels are rubbing on the chassis. What vintage trucks are on the B-unit - cast metal sideframes with outside bearings, one-piece plastic snap-in truck, or plastic sideframes with inside bearings? Have you checked that the wheels are in gauge? If the gauge is too narrow on the inside bearing type trucks the back of the wheels can be pinching the black plastic bearing sleeve. GQ

Reply to
Geezer

Solutions? Check the wheels, see if they are in guage (too wide?) or the truck sideframes are pressed in too far and hitting the wheels (may need shims) OR just get a set of JayBee wheels for it and improve the way it runs and tracks over a stock Athearn unit. Chooch

Reply to
chooch

It looks like the trucks have plastic side frames. The actual _frame_ of the dummy is the same frame as the powered version. The trocks look like some sort of snap in unit without any gears found on the powered units. I'll try to check the gauge. The axels don't bond aginst the side frame. The bindings appears to be between the wheels on the truck.

Reply to
Dana Miller

Were the pointed ends of the axles actually IN the holes in the truck sideframes?

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

If you have the plastic side frames the bearings are inside the wheels. They fit into a slot in the thin metal side frame of the truck. Check to be sure that they haven't slipped out of the slot. It may be necessary to bend the metal frame slightly (usually inward) so the bearings stay in place or to prevent them from rubbing against the inside of the wheel. Also check wheel gauge as this could also cause binding against the bearing. Place a small drop of light oil on the axel at the bearing. J. Bright

Reply to
jhbright