Backdrop-Foreground Transitions...

Okay, so I've got the backdrop almost completed, about 60% of the track down, and most of the structures sitting on the layout to get an idea of what it's going to look like in the future. Problem is that while the backdrop gives me a good sense of depth, I'm not entirely satisfied with the transition from the backdrop to the three- dimensional foreground of the layout.

Among other things, I'm thinking of building a number of "half-trees": trees whose flat backs would be glued to the backdrop but whose three- dimensional portion would extend out onto the layout proper. (I'm sort of being forced in this direction by the fact that I've only got 4" from backdrop to the nearest track in some places, so I need to compress space like crazy.)

Anybody out there seen anything like this done before, and, if so, can you refer me to pictures of same anywhere?

It seems like an obvious idea, but I can't recall ever having seen it done before...

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Look for the RPI Model Railroad web site and/or articles by members. They did a lot of work with transitions.

Reply to
LD

Thanks, but it seems that all the useful stuff there is on the pay site.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Thanks, but it seems that all the useful stuff there is on the pay site.

Ah, too bad.

Here's a link to other college clubs:

and look at the newsletters here (you will have to dig):

LD

Thanks!

I'll go do some digging.

~Pete