"Bright Boy" not a "bright" idea?!

Ed, I got a tube of MAAS at Wally World or the grocery store a few years ago. I think its a product similar to the Flitz that you have such good results with. This past March or April I tacked down some HOn3 track to temporally run some trains while I was working on the layout. I last cleaned the track in May and that was about the last time I ran the narrow gauge stuff. Yesterday I went out there to put up a box car I got while on vacation and decided to run the C-19 that had been sitting on the tracks all that time. Off she went smooth as silk hauling four cars and a caboose and not a single spot dirty enough to cause even the slightest hesitation. My Timesaver has been inactive almost as long and I had no problems with it either. I have an air purifier/ionizer on a timer out there and it almost completely knocks out any dust so between it and the MAAS the tracks stay very clean. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

The article I read about the two products was in MR or MR'ing, and the author used MAAS and mentioned Flitz. I chose Flitz only because it is non-toxic. My wife had also been looking for some silver polish about which she wouldn't worry about when serving food in containers cleaned with metal polishes (copper, silver, pewter, etc.). Fltiz met that need, too. I suspect that both products clean model railroad tracks equally well.

Ed

in article rPmVe.240$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com, Bruce Favinger at snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote on 9/12/05 2:55 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Has anyone tried the Electrak Clean II Cleaning car?

Just curious.

Steve

Reply to
Steven Kay

Yes, I have one. It is effective on my layout (see website below for track plan). You need to follow it with either a manual wipe down of the track to remove any black carbon residue or a track cleaning car with a canvas roller, or the rotating pad car like the ones from MNP. In addition, if your track is really dirty and there is a lot of carbon residue, you should bet one of those small keyboard or hobby vacuums (9v type) and vacuum the track to get residue from the ballast area. My track isn't that dirty (I've used Flitz, but no other chemicals) and I find that the Electrak II doesn't leave much residue, an it is very easy to use.

Note that the F7B shell gets quite warm over the electronics and may even dimple it. I wouldn't use it for over 20 minutes at a time without letting it cool a bit.

Ed

in article BF4D7F2F.108E6% snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net, Steven Kay at snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote on 9/14/05 4:19 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates