Buzzing noise in Soundtraxx Decoder

KATO GP35, installed a soundtraxx DSD-AT100LC decoder. Everything works fine, engine control, lights, sounds etc...

However, whenever the engine is powered there is an annoying buzzing noise from the speaker. This is also when the unit is muted using (F8). Note I did install the capacitor and connected to the appropriately marked hook-up on the circuit board.

Any help or solutions?

Thanks, Russ

Reply to
GSRS

Hi

A dumb question, but is the capacitor connected the right way round. LOL

Maybe a check of the settings or CV's, sounds as if there is a bit of

50hz maybe com>KATO GP35, installed a soundtraxx DSD-AT100LC decoder. Everything works

My Website:

Anthony

No flouro lights. Were you serious about the capacitor? I'm not mr. electric but the speaker worked fine with a different decode in the same engine. I switched decoders because the DSD-AT100LC fits better and I can get the shell back on snug.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
GSRS

Reply to
Jon Miller

That's my main complaint with HO scale sound these days - all I hear is an annoying buzzing sound, followed by a little bit of static, and then more buzzing. Occasionally it sounds like a coffee grinder, but mostly just buzzing. The old Athearn locos have a better sound system and they didn't even need a speaker! :) Seriously, though - call or e-mail Soundtraxx. Something is obviously wrong with it, especially since you say the speaker work fine with another decoder. (Unless the resistance of the speaker is significantly different from what the decoder was designed for. But I doubt it.) 'till later.....

Reply to
Andrew Cummings

Hi there.

I was having a bit of fun there with the capacitor. I would do what the others said and contact soundtraxx, think easier than fiddling round with it. :)

My Website:

Anthony

My next check would be a close examination of all ground connections. A floating or high impedence ground could produce the same noise. Make sure there are no breaks, no resistance, and no noise. Find an old speaker and connect it between the central ground point and the ground next to the decoder. If you hear anything, you have a poor ground somewhere between the two. If you hear a single click, check to see if you have the ground line and a power rail crossed somewhere.

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell

Just what exactly is the 'central ground point' on a DCC locomotive? The only connections are the two rails. Keith

Reply to
Keith

I spoke with soundtraxx, they said to mail the decoder in and they'll check it out. I sent it today. Will let you know the outcome if your interested.

Russ

Reply to
GSRS

Hi there :)

The results of it would be >I spoke with soundtraxx, they said to mail the decoder in and they'll check

My Website:

Anthony