DCC Questions?? - NCE Power Cab??

This new NCE PowerCab starter set looks interesting. At about $140 with a power supply included it's about the least inexpensive set so far. I still haven't purchased a DCC system. I've been leaning towards a Lenz set 90. I decided to wait until I really had enough layout finished to really get some use out of DCC also thinking that prices might get lower as DCC seems to be growing in leaps and bounds. Anyone have any comments on this system?

When finished I will have about 70 feet of mainline with a three track staging yard, two sidings with some spurs off of them, one large yard with an engine facility and a turntable. Most often this layout will only be operated by me but I want the capability to have three operators. I will be using sound. I already have two sound decoders and will be getting three more for a total of five locomotives. Turnouts and the TT movement will not be controlled with DCC. I would think that one of these starter sets should be about all I need other than maybe a booster or two and some jacks to plug in the throttles at a few locations.

If one has one handheld unit can you select a locomotive and set it to run on a continuous circuit and then select another locomotive to directly control?

How is the reversing of the TT handled especially if other locomotives are on the engine facility tracks or operating in the yard and you don't want to reverse their current. With DC block controls this is no problem because only one locomotive is in any given block. Would you block out the yard, engine facilities and the main line that passes through in the same manor you would with DC. I'm no great shakes with wiring or electronics and only know how to set up DC cab control. And I've only ever done that for two cabs.

I might also add some sound decoders to a few diesels if possible. I have two P2K GP30s and an Athearn CF7 I would like to put them in. None of these seem to have much room for speakers. If anyone has some ideas on speaker installation for any these your advise would be appreciated.

As for prices getting lower Tony's has a bunch of SoundTraxx power and sound decoders on sale for about $53 plus shipping. IIRC I bought my sound decoders for about $110 each.

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

I don't know about NCE and Lenz, so can't help you there. I'm very happy with my Digitrax Zephyr, though; it's available for around $160 in the US.

Under DCC, an engine will respond to the last command it's sent. It will keep doing that until you send it another command. So, yes, one engine can easily be commanded to run around a loop at a constant throttle setting while you operate another.

One of the major advantages with DCC is that you don't have to block the tracks as you do for DC. You send commands to the engine decoders so you can have as many engines as you want in a single block (in DCC parlance, a power district), all controlled individually.

With DCC, you don't have to reverse power to reverse direction. In fact reversing the power will NOT change the direction of travel. Polarity IS an issue though; you will still cause a short if you cross a juncture that is out of polarity (or, more correctly since it's AC, where it's out of phase). So I think the easiest way to deal with a turntable is just to make the polarity on the TT itself reversible, not the power in the yard/engine house tracks. I don't have a TT myself, so maybe someone else can advise on this matter.

A good on-line DCC primer is at

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon

Bruce Favinger wrote some questions about DCC:

Bruce, The best advice I can give qou about which DCC set to buy is to see what those in your geographic area are using, and try them out to see what you like/dislike about them. It's very helpful to have other local users and/or a LHS that use and support whatever brand you end up buying.

Then look at the feature set vs. expandability, with price as a secondary consideration. Some of the starter sets have low prices but lack features and expandability, whereas a few dollars more gets you a set that will not be obsolete when you decide you need more features or power.

HTH, Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

The PowerCab offers the same features as the Power Pro. The only limitation is the number of trains and cabs that can be operated (3 HO/4N scale trains). You will be able to add a 3amp "smart booster", though, that will allow you to operate more trains/cabs. Digital Railroader is offering the PowerCab at $125.95 (pre-release pricing only).

Yes, this is possible with the PowerCab. It's not quite as elegant as the DigiTrax system, which offers two fully independent controls, but it should be sufficient for most users.

Since a unique "address" is used to control a locomotive, only it will respond to commands from your controller. No need to set up special operating blocks! Direction of movement is not controlled by changing polarity, as it is in DC.

It is possible to get good sound into a small diesel, without redesigning the insides as QSI has to. I have had excellent success installing a 1 watt rectangular mini-speaker under the fans of a GP9. This did require hacking into the weight a bit, to obtain adequate vertical space for a speaker and baffle.

Just my guess, but SoundTraxx may be dumping old decoders in preparation for the release of Tsunami-based decoders. BTW, their new HOn3 Mudhen will be offered with an optional Tsunami sound/control system for just $80 more than without! This means that SoundTraxx has seen what DigiTrax is doing and is willing to compete, rather than be left behind. It's about time some other decoder manufacturer decided to try to compete with SoundTraxx!!!

Reply to
Digital Railroader

A turntable is a "reversing section", like a "wye" or a "reverse loop". However, the easiest was to deal with it is to install an auto-reverse module. It senses the polarity and in an instant, can change it so that there is no short.

Reply to
Digital Railroader

Frank, What do you think about the LocSound Decoders? I will need three more decoders down the road for small steam locomotives. I like the idea that these decoders can be changed for different sounds by software. From what I see the NCE PowerCab appears to do everything I want and can be expanded to add things that I don't know I want yet. I have to make the plunge sooner or later so you had better put me down for one of the new PowerCabs. Contact me off list with payment instructions. I would also like to discuss the additional components that I will eventually need. My turntable is the one powered by the old Atlas unit that I sent you pictures of some time ago. It reverses automatically. I have some planned power blocks to assist with trouble shooting and the possibility of a having a DC locomotive sitting on the tracks particularly in staging, on a siding or in the roundhouse. The engine servicing tracks will be on a singe block, the TT is on its own block and as well as each storage track. Also I don't think I will want more than one or two locomotives on and making noise at the same time. Can the PowerCab unit run a DC locomotive if needed or would I need to devise away to switch over to DC control?

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Their prices are too high, given the new competition from DigiTrax. I'm also concerned that a European company will be truly able to understand what Americans want - that's one reason why I consider Lenz to be a poor choice. I mean, how many Americans want to use a wireless phone to control their trains? Sheesh! I also wonder if they'll have access to the equipment that needs to be sampled to get really prototypical sound, or will they stoop to synthesizing sounds?

This is one area where I really don't agree with NCE - they simply do not support DC locomotives in their starter kits - they don't believe in it like DigiTrax and Bachmann (address "0" is reserved for a single DC locomotive). NCE gives directions for creating a controller that would do what you want.

Reply to
Digital Railroader

Are you sure? This just came up in another group somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, ISTR that the final word on this was that NCE removed the ability to use a DC throttle several hardware or firmware revisions ago.

Not to mention that the NCE implementation of this ability was rudimentary at best. You couldn't use address "0" (zero) on the regular NCE handhelds like you would with Digitrax and I assume some others. You had to go out and buy a potentiometer and a handful of other parts and build a controller yourself. And it could only be plugged into the serial port on the command station. not into the throttle buss.

Bottom line is that if the ability to run a DC loco is a must, be sure to check closely that the NCE method is suitable, if it's even still available.

HTH Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

Depends on how old my system manuals are, which is where I read about it.

Granted, the solution is not the best, but it's all NCE offered as an alternative to buying someone else's starter set! ;-)

Reply to
Digital Railroader

ability to use a DC throttle several hardware or firmware revisions ago< The latest NCE chip is recent, within a month or two. It has removed the ability to use a DC engine. Before this new chip a controller could be built following NCE instructions.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Okay, it seems to be a more recent "undevelopment" than I recalled. But the fact remains that it was kludgy at best, and apparently isn't available any more. Therefore, my advice to the OP remains that they shop carefully if DC control of a loco is a must-have.

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

control of a loco is a must-have< While my system does have the DC option I have never used it and didn't buy the system with the DC option figuring anyplace in the reasons for buying. As decoders are extremely cheap currently (basic ones for $15) I don't see any reason to run DC. For testing I have a test area not the layout.

Reply to
Jon Miller