Diesel Locomotive.

Hi all,
I thought it was time for something other than politics. :-)
I just got a US Diesel loco in a box of junk. I was going to figure out
the prototype by searching through my stack of old mags, but some of you seem to need something to do.
It's a Bo'Bo' A+B and looks like the Athearn PA other than length.
The manufaturer is TTM (Japan) Plastic body, folded brass chassis. It's missing the motor, flywheels(?) and universals to the gear towers but I'm sure I have suitable replacements. I have a spare Roco flat can which looks about right. My problem is that it has only seven out of eight bogie side frames. These are the type that have "goose neck" or "swan neck" equalizers. Where would I find a replacement sideframe to match? Would any older and lower price proprietry US model that I might pick up second-hand have suitable side frames?
Regards, Greg.P.
Greg Procter wrote:
> I just got a US Diesel loco in a box of junk. I was going to figure > out the prototype by searching through my stack of old mags, but some > of you seem to need something to do. > > It's a Bo'Bo' A+B and looks like the Athearn PA other than length.
It is most likely a model of an Alco FA - does it look anything like this?
http://www.wabash-railroad.com/images/Diesels/ALCO/WB00808R-w.jpg
> My problem is that it has only seven out of eight bogie side frames. > These are the type that have "goose neck" or "swan neck" equalizers.
They are known as AAR type B trucks.
> Where would I find a replacement sideframe to match?
Possibly one of the detail part manufacturers, such as Detail Associates, make them.
> Would any older and lower price proprietry US model that I might > pick up second-hand have suitable side frames?
Yes. Roco, Atlas, MDC, Model Power and LifeLike have all made locos with these trucks. Look for Alco RS series locos, or Baldwin RF-16s.
On 6/28/05 6:46 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au,

In addition, it sounds rather like the Train Miniature FA to me; the first runs had a simple brass frame.
--
Brian Ehni

The Walthers Trainline FA is descended from the TM product. You might find a used one for less than a pair of AAR non powsered trucks. Roger Aultman
Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

The couple old TM FA's I have use the common old style (metal sideframes with the axle bearings outboard of the wheels) Athearn AAR type B used on several of the Athearn GE 8-wheel Diesel models. Gary Q
Geezer wrote:

The unpowered B unit uses the sideframe bearings/slots, and I assume a flat keeper-plate screwed underneath. (those wheels, plate and screws are missing) The powered unit has the bearings in the gear tower and (I think) identical bogie sideframes.
On 6/29/05 3:26 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz, "Greg Procter"

Greg, in addition to the previous answers, ProtoPowerWest used to use the TM diecast frame, Athearn trucks, and Sagami motors with flywheels. I may have one laying about I'll send you for the cost of postage.
--
Brian Ehni

Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

Address: G.Procter, Glenview Road, RD1 Takaka, New Zealand 7172.
This loco has a sheet brass frame, but a replacement truck side frame would be welcome!
Would fitting Athearn trucks be an improvement on the present ones? They turn nicely when the input shaft is rotated by hand, but I haven't yet fitted a motor.
On 6/29/05 7:03 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz, "Greg Procter"

I'll get it boxed up, then.
The trucks/sideframes used with the brass frame are not interchangeable with the latter drivetrain used with the diecast frame. The Japanese trucks were jewels, but poor electrical contact was one reason the diecast frame became standard. (plus, no doubt, the cheaper price of the Athearn trucks and motors!)
You could fit Athearn trucks, but you'd probably have to totally remake the chassis. Best to start from scratch with brass if you do. IMHO
--
Brian Ehni

mark_newton wrote:

That's the one!

Snappy name!

OK, thanks. Another model search <sigh> :-)
Regards, Greg.P. NZ