Double track spline

Hello,

I am trying to build a S scale double track loop to be hung from the ceiling. It will be connected to benchwork by a ramp along the walls. It would be best to be able to see the trains from below, so I am considering using splined roadbed. Is it better to make separate splines for each track, or one wide splined surface for both tracks together?

Thanks.

---Hillel

Reply to
Hillel

Hi Hillel, From doing 'Spline Roadbed' 40 years ago, for HOn3, and NOT trying to make specific radius figures, Spline Roadbed, has a mind of it's own. The only sure way to have two parallel tracks, is to do one 'double track width' spline assembly.

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles Davis

I would like to add that two single splines require double the support hangers. A double-wide spline will be easier to hang.

Reply to
video guy - www.locoworks.com

Thanks. Good information there.

One set of hangers should be able to hold two splines if they are parallel and close to each other. Take a look a the commercial system that uses one rod in the center to hold two parallel tracks. One block under both with a threaded rod on each side would hold both.

OTOH, the difficulty of making close parallel independent splines can be an issue. So, if one wide splined path is the way to go, is it better to start in the middle between the two tracks and treat it like one big splined track, or start like two splined single tracks in the centerline of each track path and just connect them in the middle?

Thanks.

---Hillel

Reply to
Hillel