Dual Motor Wiring

Have HO loco with two can motors each driving seperate wheel mechanism. Was not wired when obtained. Are the motors wired in series or in parallel? What about DCC considerations? TIA

Reply to
chet greene

They can be wired in series or on parallel.

Parallel gives a higher speed, but series means that both motors will start at exactly the same time, which can be a problem with motors in parallel.

Series has another advantage: because the whole rotation of the throttle is for 6 volts per motor instead of 12 the locomotive is more controllable at slow speeds. And in any case, most people don't run their engines at full throttle - they'd come off the curves.

I'm not a DCC person so I can't help you with that.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Reply to
Jon Miller

i have a hobbytown rs-3 with two sagami 1630 motors wired in parallel. this way they maintaine the same characteristics as a single motor engine. wiring in series will reduce speed and increase current draw so if you have a low power controller parallel is the way to go. for dcc as long as they are wired together all will be well. karl of karls kabuse

Reply to
KYager1126

Reply to
Jon Miller

wiring in series will reduce speed and increase current draw<

Jon=A0Miller replied: I think we need to go back to electronics school on this reply. While its true it will reduce speed there will be no increase in current per say. Look at it this way, a bunch of resistors in series__current remains the same but the drop across the resistors changes__; resistors in parallel__voltage remains the same but current changes__! Another example, I use a LM334Z current source for my engine lights (LEDs). These are set to give 10mA and the voltage just changes to provide the results. I can string as many LEDs as I want in series until I run out of source voltage.

--------------------------------------------------- "Internet Guide to Electronics" might help explain what Jon said:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill

Jon=A0Miller wrote: That's just fine, I looked for some of my old books for a better way but have tossed them all when I retired. Probably shouldn't have as you never know when you need the stuff. Anyway I paged marked your input for future reference, thank you!

---------------------------------------------------- I'm relieved, Jon! Sometimes when I read what I've written, I wonder where my feeble brain went.

Several years ago, I threw away one of the best electrical books I ever had for some unknown reason. Maybe it's because that was the one that was worn out! Saved all the ones I never used.