[ebay] Help identify diesel model from poor photo

(image only)

Seller and his friend have a combined 50 years of modeling experience, but can't identify this engine to my satisfaction.

Reply to
NorthPolePostmaster

Appears to be an ALCO HH series switcher to me.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Late-model Fairbanks-Morse H-12-44 (the short version). I have no idea who made it, though.

David Thompson

"I failed you. I wish there were another way for me to say it. I cannot. I can only beg your forgiveness and pray you will hear me somewhere, someplace... someplace where a warm hand waits for mine."

Batman:TAS - "Heart of Ice"

Reply to
James D Thompson

It looks to me like a FM H-10-44 switcher - the very high hood, large low radiator grill, and small white number board above the grill and inset from the end of the hood are distinctive. Guessing that it's HO, choices would then be HObbyline, Walthers, brass, or the Cary body/Athearn chassis. It is not exactly any of those. I can't believe brass or a Walthers would be fouled up like the model in the photo (grossly incorrect handrails and oversized shiny silver wheels behind undersized sideframes), so my guess is either an old HObbyline body (they came with that number board painted white) or a Cary body kitbashed onto an early AHM Yugoslavian switcher chassis. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

According to information that I have, it should be a Fairbanks-Morse H-12-44, made by Model Power/Minitrix (N scale). It was made prior to

1990. This is from an article in Model Railroad, 1990, June (not sure of the month), titled 'ABC's of Diesel Dates' by Jim Kelly.

Fred Ellis

Reply to
Fred Ellis

Fred Ellis replied: According to information that I have, it should be a Fairbanks-Morse H-12-44, made by Model Power/Minitrix (N scale). It was made prior to

1990.

------------------------------------------------- I believe you are right. Here's a Minitrix FM H12-44:

These were made by Minitrix and imported by Model Power from about 1970. I believe Con-Cor also offered these in the late 1970s with unique road names and/or numbers.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Thank you for the responses everyone. I'm certain Bill's picture correctly identifies the model offered in this auction,

seller's protest that his engine is an Atlas model made by KATO, because, "...it says KATO on the bottom."

Here's Mark's photo of the UP version:

NorthPolePostmaster

correctly identifies the model

despite seller's protest that his engine is an Atlas model made by KATO, because,

As of now, the auction is ended because it was mis-identified. The last comment is that they've determined it most likely is the Minitrix FM switcher, which I tend to agree with.

Prior to Model power, ca mid to late 1960's they were also imported under the minitrix name. This was one of the earliest US outline diesels offered in N, right up there with the Arnold F-7.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman